What's Normal?

I plowed through the little homework that I had left and then focused on putting together dinner. My mom had left instructions for making spaghetti since she and my dad were both working late. It's by far the easiest meal I know how to make. The only part I don't enjoy is cutting up the French Bread to go along with it. I can never get the slices even which annoys the daylights out of me.

Soon I was sitting down with a plate of hot spaghetti and toasted French Bread, a book in my hand. I'd decided to let John sleep, he had seemed so fragile earlier. Every part of me screamed to go check on him, but I knew better. I needed to leave him alone. He would not want me pestering him and getting on his nerves would only make him mean.

After I finished dinner, I sat down on the couch still holding my book. I read for a while before deciding to make myself a quick cup of tea. I heated water in the microwave and then left the cup on the counter with a tea bag to steep. My book was a mystery thriller and it was really good. Good enough that I didn't notice until John was right in front of me holding out my tea for me. I jumped and let out a sharp exhale of surprise, putting a huge smile on John's face.

"So the ice queen can be caught unawares," he said with a wolfish tilt of an eyebrow.

"You know this is my house, right? I shouldn't have to worry about people sneaking up on me." I countered as I tried to slow my racing heart.

John kept his sneaky grin and said, "Tea?" while still offering my cup.

A grin I couldn't suppress gathered at the corners of my mouth as I reached out to take it, "Thanks. I kind of forgot about it."

John carefully handed me the cup, the touch of our fingers sending a pleasant buzz through me. The tea sat warm and comforting in my hands while I took an appreciative sip. I let a heavy sigh escape causing John to cock his head in puzzlement. He had been watching me intently as if trying to unlock some mystery about me and it appeared that I had only added to it.

He sat down stiffly next to me, continuing to study my every movement as I blissfully closed my eyes and sniffed the steaming cup. "Are you okay?" he finally asked.

For a long moment I was the one who felt puzzled. Of course I was okay. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Then I realized that John had no idea what normal people did, what true relaxing looked like.

Gratefulness stirred inside of me as I answered, "I am more than okay, that was really sweet of you to bring my tea. I'm enjoying reading my book and some peace and quiet with a warm drink. What could be better?"

John quirked his mouth and stared at me for a moment, "I've never seen anyone ACTUALLY sit and read for fun."

"Well now you've had a new life experience," I joked.

"HA! You sound like, Vernon!" John said blowing the hair out of his eyes.

"For once, I don't care because I am perfectly happy right now," I answered giving him my best puppy dog eyes.

The sugary act worked and John softened his smirk to a real smile, "I wish I could hold you while you read."

"How about you lean against me instead?" I asked. "Although, you might want to eat first. I made spaghetti and French Bread."

John perked up at the mention of food, "Don't let it go to your head, but you actually make good food."

I had to bite back a laugh, "I'll take that into consideration."

"I'll take that into consideration," John parroted shaking his head with a heavy sigh of his own. "I thought it was going to be more fun staying with you."

"Translation, you want me to get your food because your ribs hurt." I replied.

John's eyebrows shot up under his dark shaggy hair and his jaw dropped. He shook a finger at me, eyes wide, "That's just scary. You read my mind. I thought we had a ways to go in this relationship before we reached that part, but $#@%...."

I mustered up my most evil smile and winked at him as I set my tea down and stood up, "I've been reading your mind for a long time."

John gave me a semi-horrified look, "I think I may need to go home now."

"Nope! Your stuck here!" I called to him as I walked to the kitchen.

Shuffling behind me, John sat down at the table, watching me as I reheated the spaghetti and bread. He stayed quiet even when I brought him his meal. He seemed lost in thought and I wasn't going to pester. I brought my tea and book to the table and sat with him while he ate. Frankly, I didn't mind the silence, John was at his loudest and most obnoxious when he was uncomfortable. Silence meant that he felt like he could trust me.

A yawn escaped me, and I rubbed my eyes. My actions caught John's attention and he was quick to comment, "Tired, ice queen?"

"Yup," I yawned again.

"Can I keep you company in bed?" he asked with a more life than I'd seen so far that day.

"No," I smirked at him.

John smiled back, "You're heartless."

"I am an ice queen," I threw back. "Frozen through and through."

Laughter made John wince, but he still managed to get out a good chuckle shooting me a sassy grin, "Well I'm glad we have that settled."

I felt a laugh well up inside of me and I walked over to John and kissed him on the cheek with an uncharacteristic giggle, "I'm going to go shower and go to bed. You are NOT going to pester me and if I find you in my room, I will break another one of your ribs."

"Yeesh! Violent!" John feigned fear, then took my hand eyes now full of sincerity. "I promised to behave and I will. Besides, I'm so busted up there's no way I could get into trouble even if I wanted to."

I squeezed his hand, allowing a real smile to creep over me, "Goodnight then, John. I'll see you in the morning."