Chapter 9: Demnatio memoriae

Keylee had slowly drifted to sleep on the way back to Theo and had left Void alone with his thoughts, a dangerous combination, so now Void decided to come up with another trick.

It wasn't hard for a fox to think about a nice trick but then the hard part came, he had to choose which trick he would use and on who...

He stared at the sleeping girl besides him. Her head rested on his shoulder, completely ignoring the warning from a few minutes before.

'I thought I told you not to fall asleep on my shoulder.'

Keylee slightly moved and gripped his upper arm. Void sighted and shook hi head. 'I give up.'

Keylee smiled a little. Void knew she was asleep, he could hear her heart beat calm and steady just as her breath. He also knew she could still hear him, at least, sort of. Otherwise her unconscious wouldn't react on his words.

Meanwhile, Theo looked grumpy at a picture on his phone. His eyes darted from the 4 years old girl to the 4 years old boy and back. It was a picture of him and Keylee when they were younger. When he wasn't yet corrupted by the dread doctors...

His head snapped up when he heard people coming closer. Yet, when he looked up he couldn't see anything. He smiled. 'Cory, I know you're here. Don't hide from me, what is it?'

Cory hesitatingly turned visible. 'I- I was just wondering... You- you said you would do something right?'

'Yes.' Theo wondered to where this conversation was going.

'Well, you- you didn't really do something yet so... what exactly are you gonna do? Not that I don't think you have no plan, I trust you, it's just that-'

Theo stood up before Cory could finish. 'Cory, I get it. I know how you feel alright. But you don't have to worry. I have a plan, I won't let you die. I will protect you, I promise, you just need to do as I say. Follow me and you'll be fine.'

Theo placed his hand on Cory's shoulder and squeezed it. 'Just do exactly as I say, right now I want you to go back downstairs and tell the others to prepare to leave. You can do that alright?'

Cory nodded quickly. Uncomfortable with the way Theo held him on his place. He didn't know if it was meant to be like that, but Theo came over pretty threatening. The slight growl in his tone didn't go unnoticed. Yet he also smiled.

Cory simply forced himself to smile back. 'Yeah, I'll tell them, anything else?'

'No, that will be all. I'll come down in a few minutes, I just need to wait for someone to arrive first.'

Cory nodded once again and walked away. Not wanting to stay there any longer. He knew Theo could protect him, that things would come out fine now, but he just wanted to be normal. "At least I don't have scales over my body." He thought, reminding himself of Tracy, who was partly a Kanima.

Theo closed the door behind Cory and turned around to the window.

'You know you could just use the door right?'

Void shrugged. 'You wanna explain the kid why I look like someone from his school?'

Theo shook his head. 'At one point you will have to make your presence known tho. This is my pack, you're in it too. I would like it if everyone knew each other so we can prevent any misunderstandings.'

'Unfortunate for you, you don't always get everything you like. I laid Keylee on her bed, she fell asleep after we practiced fighting.'

Theo stared at Void. He had the feeling he was keeping something behind but couldn't figure it out for sure. Void looked so utterly calm but the feeling that he wasn't telling something didn't leave Theo alone.