Chapter 3:

Louis wasn't at school the day prior. He was recovering from a head cold. He didn't mind missing school, but he knew he would need to do make up work. It sucks really. He just hopes he didn't miss anything important.

As it turns out he did miss something important, because when he walked into his French class that day he was surprised to find a lot more people. He wonders what's going on before he spots a familiar face. Harry. Harry is in his classroom. Actually, he is also, coincidentally, sitting in his seat. He doesn't want to be rude and tell him to move, but if he doesn't where is going to sit? He looks around, but it seems every other seat is taken. He decides that if he's going to get anywhere he might as well pull up a chair from the back of the room. He walks to the back, picks up a chair, and places it by the seat next to some girl on the opposite side of where Harry is sitting. He would sit with him, but he doesn't want to scare the poor lad his inked skin. He watches as Harry pulls out a notebook. He rummages through his bag some more before he furrows his brow. He seems to be having trouble finding a pencil.

Its true Harry is having a hard time finding a pencil. He could have sworn he put his pencil back in his bag after finishing the assignment from last period. He keeps looking until he finally decides that maybe just maybe he left it in his last class. He sighs, knowing that unfortunately, he won't be able to write down notes. He slumps forward and puts his head on his desk.

Louis watches as Harry sits, looking defeated. Louis wants to help out, but if he gives him his pencil, he won't have anything else to write with. He mulls it over. He can either take notes or watch Harry suffer, or he could give him his pencil and just listen to the teacher. He finally decides that he would rather see a smile on Harry's face. So, he stands up and walks over to him. He stands beside the desk and puts the pencil on it. He wants to wait and see if Harry will acknowledge him, but he notices the teacher out of the corner of his eye. He gives one last glance to Harry and sits back down.

Harry thinks that he should at least try to pay attention to the class, so he picks his head off the desk. When he does so, he feels something rolling down the desk. He watches as a pencil rolls itself down until it just about rolls off. However, Harry was quick to catch it. He picks it up and studies it. It's not his pencil he knows that. Did someone lend him a pencil? He looks around, but sees no one is watching him. Strange. He thinks that maybe he just got lucky. He opens his notebook and begins the notes for the day.

Louis spends the rest of the day watching Harry. He's not full on staring, just glimpsing from time to time. He likes that the curly haired lad is using his pencil. Sure Harry doesn't know that but it still makes him happy. Even after the bell, Louis watches as Harry begins to pack up and head out the door, taking the pencil with him. For some reason, that alone makes Louis smile all day.

181818

Later at the skate park he tells Zayn about it.

"So let me get this straight. You gave Harry your pencil, the only pencil you own, just to see him happy." Zayn says dumbfounded. He really can't believe that Louis would do something like that. Well ok he can believe it. It's more the fact that something so insignificantly small and stupid has Louis smiling like an idiot.

"Yea." Louis states dreamily. He's imagining the way Harry was writing. He remembers the slight crease in his brow as he was concentrating or the slight smile when the teacher told a joke. He was just the cutest thing in Louis' eyes.

"Well, did he at least thank you?" 

"Well no. See he didn't actually know I gave him the pencil." Zayn blinks at Louis.

"You mean to tell me you're all giddy over the fact that he used your pencil and he doesn't even know you were the one to give it to him? How does that even work?"

"Well he had his head down when I put the pencil on his desk."

"So he didn't even know someone gave him the pencil?" Zayn was honestly so frustrated for his friend. It seems he could even talk to Harry to give him a pencil.

"Well the teacher walked in before I had a chance to say anything." Louis knows it sounds like a lame excuse, and well it really is. "I wanted to say something, but I didn't." Louis lies back on the fence that surrounds the skate park.

 "Louis I've told you this a million times, but really be a man. You sound like some teenage girl telling me that you have a boyfriend, but he doesn't even know it yet. Look I want you to try to converse with the guy at some point ok. I don't want you to feel like you missed out on something great." Louis knows it's true.

That night, he can't sleep. He wonders why it seems to be so hard to talk to Harry. Harry is just so sweet. He's like sugar and spice and everything nice. He's like an angel. Then Louis thinks about who he is. He's practically a demon. He has tattoos, smokes, skateboards, and wears eyeliner. He is every parent's nightmare, although he isn't really. If people were to look past that demeanor, they would find a charming young lad who wants someone to love and to hold. He has feelings like everyone else. He just wishes that people didn't see him the way they did. Maybe if he weren't so punk, he'd be in Harry's favor.