Chapter Twelve | Large Heath

A R E S | N I C O L A I D E S

The colour of fire hearths and tangerines, orange gold, extends far and broad. It is only a reflection of the dawn, the promise of the rising sun after the velvety night has had its say and the country has rested once more.

The fading sun brought a fiery sky, the orange of every wintry hearth. It was a battle cry to the gathering night, that the only accomplishment of darkness is to magnify stars.

I feel the grip of good new treads as I drive through tropical brightness, amid a sea of blue blossoms in the green, and I feel myself flick into cruise control. This car breathes and absorbs energy as if it were part of the land's flora, making driving as natural as running free.

I was driving one car with Alex, Aunt Coraline, Atlas and Adonis whilst Alastair drove with his daughter and Athena.

With one hand on the wheel, I rest my other on Alex's lap. She fell asleep, the wind from the open window giving her natural air. She takes my free hand and wraps it with hers before continuing her snoring session.

"She's pregnant, isn't she?" I hear Aunt Coraline whisper, my siblings asleep on one another. Adonis head on Atlas' shoulder.

"She is, but she doesn't want to tell anyone until she reaches her third trimester." I answer back, I look at Aunt Coraline through the rear-view mirror.

"She's never going to forgive me if she finds out, is she?" No. She is not.

She is not going to forgive me either.

"No, she isn't." Aunt Coraline sighs and rests her head onto Atlas' other shoulder.

The entire journey to the hotel was silent, but when Alex woke up gasping. All my attention went to her, "Alex?" She shifts around the seat, releasing my hand.

"Stop the car." She whispers.

"What?"

"I said stop the car!" I indicate and slow down to stop the car, everyone begins waking as Alex pushes the door open and vomits. I sigh, slipping out of the car as I open the boot of the car to grab water and wipes. I knew this was going to happen. We both thought it stopped, Alex continued to vomit. I reach her, pulling her hair back.

She groans in pain; she spits out the rest. I open the lid to the water and hand it to her, she gurgles the water and spits it out to remove the distaste of the water. Aunt Coraline offers to come out, but I wave to her to stay in the car.

"Are you okay princess?"

"No. I want to go back home." She whispers, crouching down. I crouch down with her, and her head falls down onto my chest.

I take the wipes and wipe her mouth before cleansing her face with a clean one. Giving her a cool sensation and removing sweat.

"I'm cold." It was 33 degrees outside right now. But I was not going to say anything. I assist her in getting back into the car, grabbing my jacket from the boot before closing it. I slip her arms through the jacket; I know the smell of me cools her down. I could tell as she settles inside it. It was huge on her. I kiss her forehead.

We got back on route to the hotel, Alex had her arms wrapped around mine. Her head resting on my bicep.

Once we reached the hotel, everyone got checked in and our suitcases were taken to our rooms. The Valet took my car into the parking area, and I held Alex tight against me, the moment we entered our hotel room. I put the card into the holder which provided us electricity, "do you want to shower?"

"I don't know why I'm feeling so weak Ares?" She whispers.

"You're just tired Angelos, you need a shower then you need to sleep alright. Don't forget, you're pregnant." I switch on the shower for her and let her deal with herself, I take out one of my shirts and a pair of her underwear for her to wear.