Chapter Fifteen | Orange-tip

A L E X A N D R A | N I C O L A I D E S

MATURE 🔞

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT!

I stood on the bridge a few minutes away from the hotel, the bridge was a welcoming arch of golden bricks amid the green hills.

There is a kind of relaxation that comes at the midpoint of the bridge, letting one's feet full rest, remaining in an extended moment, hearing the blues of the water sing in reflected sunlight notes.

Beneath me sat the sounds of the river lake, on the other side of the bride was the fields of dandelions.

I hear familiar footsteps, and my head slowly turns to the side where I see Ares leaning against the lamppost.

He wore a tight black shirt that left nothing to imagination, both his hands tucked into his jean pockets whilst his hair was wet from the beach when they went out for a night with the boys. Artemis had a bachelorette party, but I could not go since they went clubbing and I am well-pregnant.

Ares offered to stay with me, but I was not talking to him, I ignored him for two days straight and all I want to do is cry. I give him a small smile; I miss him and his silly touches and cute kisses.

Our eyes never left one another, and it felt like that same moment by my window where I tried my hardest to figure him out.

All I wanted to do was go back to the hotel and have Ares rub onto my feet, but then I remember that I am ignoring him.

I miss him. I miss Ares.

I miss the way he looks at me, and the way he kisses me in the mornings. I miss the sex. I miss the way his arms feel around me when I am asleep.

The river represents how far we have come. What was previously toxic and dead now coexists with the fish we have brought back. The varied rustic colours of the submerged stones are more valuable than any jewel.

Just watching the ducklings is a mental salve and a reminder to us all that we must safeguard and cherish what we have.

During the difficulties, everyone did things they were not proud of; we did what we had to do to survive. We now pray for forgiveness and dedicate our lives to God's service and the safeguarding of His world and the life He bestows. Everyone is now a Guardian; we were simply raised that way.

Ares slowly walks towards me, and it was that moment my angry walls broke down and my forehead pressed against his chest. His finger fall down into my hair, brushing through it just the way I like it. Tears begin falling down my eyes, I look up at him and his eyes examine every inch of my face.

"I'm sorry." He whispers, "for leaving you that night, alone and worried. I promise to never leave you again Alex."

"Actions speak louder than words Ares." I whisper, pushing his hands away from my face.

"I know, I know Alex. It was the heat of the moment."

"To leave your pregnant wife? Stop making excuses Ares." I had to talk this out, otherwise this ignoring situation would have all been for nothing. He needs to understand that he cannot just ditch me, even if I wasn't pregnant.

"You're right. No excuses."

"Now talk to me, why did you leave?"

"Just seeing her made me feel sick, it gave me horrible...it gave me memories of my father," I understood where he came from, I understand that this is a sensitive topic for him. But the way he is slowly opening up makes me somehow feel included in his life. I graze his cheeks with the back of my hands. "I'm sorry."