Chapter Twenty-One | Upeckled Wood

A R E S  | N I C O L A I D E S

SONG CHOICE: NO TIME TO DIE BY BILLIE EILISH

My eyes widen in shock, they travel down to her body as she limps towards me. "Alexandra..." She is completely bruised up; her jaw looks dislocated.

I rush towards her as she falls towards the ground, my arms engulf her, and I slowly drop to the floor. "What the fuck are you doing standing there! Call the fucking ambulance! Adonis go to Adeline." My hands stroke her cheeks.

I pull open one of her eyelids and see how red and swollen her eye is, "follow my finger, Alex." I tell her, she does not listen.

I cradle her against my chest and notice blood leaking through my shirt. I glance down and see her white vest stained with blood, my finger pull the hem up and I see a shard of glass pierced through her stomach.

"Alex, Alex!" I was frozen in one place, her head falls limp in my arms. "Go check our room, bring Adeline to the hospital."

I did not think about if for a second, I lift her up in my arms and rush towards my car. I skipped steps; I noticed the colour of her skin slowly draining.

Her eyes were open, but it was as if she could not see anything, she could not hear anything. I reach my car; I settle her down into the driving seat.

I drove like a mad man; the good thing was that her eyes were open and slightly responsive. But for some reason, she was cold. Once I reach the emergency room, I see the doctors coming out. "Sir, you can't park here, this is for emergencies only!"

"This is a fucking emergency." I shout at them as I slide Alex out of the way. Their eyes widen, and they begin to request strollers and more doctors. I place her on the bed, and they begin flashing lights into her eyes. My hands were wrapped tightly around her loose one, and before I knew it, they were moving her.

"Sir, we have her. We will do everything we can, we promise." One of the doctors say before running behind Alex. I stood in the middle of the hallway.

🦋🦋🦋

It felt like i was drowning all over again.

Drowning in my thoughts.

My foot taps against the waiting room's marble floors, and my gaze is drawn to the single painting against the wall.

The beach picture.

The seashore.

The walls are a teal grey, and the chairs are comfortable, but comfort is not my priority right now. My main concern right now is how Alex is doing. It has been over six hours, and nothing has come from the doctors, Adeline was in the stroller that Aunt Coraline was pushing back and forth to soothe her.

Adonis and Atlas sat in front of me.

"It was Lucas' elder brother. He was in Spain when we-you know. She killed him though, he's as good as dead."

"Shut the fuck up Atlas." I whisper out through gritted teeth; it was not the time. Adeline's cries continue, I know she is missing her mother. 

I stand up, slipping her out of the stroller and gently cradling her into my arms, she seems to have smoothened down. I graze the top of her dark brown hair, her eyes open and she looks straight into mine.

Adeline has her mother beautiful features.

Her big doe eyes and princess nose.

"Mummy is coming back soon Ade," I whisper walking around the waiting room, her little hands wrap around my pinkie, and she brings it to her mouth before sucking onto it. I release a soft chuckle, kissing the top of her head as I try to distract myself from everyone around me.