Chapter Seventeen | Qing Let

A L E X A N D R A | N I C O L A I D E S

Sometimes, we like to be told the lies as it helps us shift our focus from the truth. As much as people love to tell the truth, they also love to lie. It becomes an unhealthy habit.

I awoke, not because of any disturbance or interruption, but because my dream had ended. The night movie had concluded, and the credits had rolled. It was time to return to the real world.

My eyes soak up every ray of light, and I know I have slept for far too long. The sounds are of a busy day. Though my eyes are open, I cannot think of anything; my heart is beating, and my mind is blank. It is as if a hypodermic of adrenaline was pumped into my carotid artery.

It all made sense to me.

Everything made sense.

I stayed in the hotel room for a week, I stare out the window, the blanket draped around my half naked body. My hands resting underneath the pillow, I have not left the bed itself.

I have not eaten properly nor drank properly. It felt as if I had no one in this world, the tears have dried up and the bed should be soaked by now. My stomach has become bigger, and I felt exhausted, this pregnancy had me tired. I graze my stomach, knowing I am not only hurting myself but Adeline.

I slide out of the bed and open the fridge to take out some food that we bought the other day. I bite into the sandwich, "Alex...please...it has been seven days and you have not come out. Princess, please just open the door. I do not understand what is going on, have I done something? Alex!"

Ares has been banging on the door for an entire week, I could tell he was sleeping outside because every time I went to go to the market down the road, I would see him sleeping against the wall.

I could not bare to look anyone in the face, not a single soul.

I walk towards the door, putting the safety lock on before opening it. Ares jumps onto his feet and looks down at me, only a bit of me due to the safety lock. I did not want him looking at me, but I know it is unfair for me to not tell him. "Alex, fuck you scared me. Open the door properly Alex."

"Did you know?"

"Alex, know what? I do not know what is going on?" He questions me.

"Did you know that Aunt Coraline's my real mother?" Just by the way his face drops, I immediately knew that he knew. The way he hesitated with saying anything, a liar is looking deep into my eyes. I shook my head in absolute shock. "How could you?"

"Alex-"

"How could you keep that a secret from me?" Five years of knowing Ares...five years of knowing the man I love, the man I married...all-it felt fake. He lied to me. He had five years to tell me that Aunt Coraline is my real mother. But he did not.

When I looked back into Ares eyes, I once thought I saw a life inside of them, I once thought I saw my everything inside of them. But, as always, expect the unexpected. I am faithful until I am continually betrayed and hurt, at which point I depart.

I love till the other person demonstrates that they do not understand real love. Genuine faith and love necessitate the heart of a true warrior, a true fighter, a toughness committed to kindness.

His jaw tenses, I wanted to know the whole story. I wanted to know everything, but I could barely look them straight in the eyes.

The two people, the two people I thought I trusted most turns out to be liars. It stung me; it stung my heart. "Did I hurt you in the past? For you to hurt me like this?"