Nice to Meet You

Enjoy this update. Sorry for the long wait in-between. Writers block sucks especially when I have a lot of ideas but need to get through some chapters to get to my bigger plans.

Mark's POV

"She doesn't attack everyone, right?" I ask Gen fearfully.

"She isn't an animal, Mark."

"Never said she was. I just want to know if I need to protect my wife." I declare.

"I'll be fine." Amanda enters the room first, with Kristen right after her. She looks better than the last time I saw her.

"Kristen, this is my husband, Mark." Gen introduces us.

"Hello." Kristen greets me. She's not what I expected, but I've learned not to have preconceived notions of people just based on one thing. I've lived my whole life defying what people thought of me. I don't know if I can even shake her hand, so I wave.

"It's nice to meet you."

"I got the authorization to treat this meeting as a medical visit." Gen speaks up.

"But I'm fine."

"Yes, but if you would like since I treated you and Ellie then..."

"Ellie...she..." Gen nods her head. "Will...can I hold her?"

"Yes." I see the very thing Gen saw in her. No matter the mistakes Kirsten made in her life; she loves her daughter. We hear a baby crying, and a guard wheels in a NICU bed. Kristen has a giant smile on her face. The guard looks reluctant to give the baby to Kristen but places the baby in her arms nonetheless.

"Ellie, you are so beautiful." Kristen whispers to her. I see the reason Gen made a connection with Kristen. The purse love she has for her daughter is exactly the same love we have for our kids.

"I know you met me when I was here, but I wanted you to meet Mark and get a feeling for us as parents." Gen explains. Kristen looks up at us.

"You two will still adopt Ellie? Right?"

"If that is your wish, then we would be honored to add Ellie into our family."

"Have you two ever thought of divorce?" Kristen asks us bluntly.

"Uh..."

"Answer."

"Kristen." Amanda cautions her client.

"I need to know that if they break up that Ellie will still have a home!" I see the erratic behavior Gen warned me about.

"We've dealt with issues that most couples never face." I speak up. "And before we committed to being a couple and starting a family, we already dealt with infidelity on my end." I fess up.

"You cheated? On her?" Kristen points to Gen.

"Yes." Gen states. Ellie begins to cry.

"I..."