Redemption

Thank you for being patient during this long wait in-between updates. I hope you all enjoy this slightly emotional chapter.

3rd Person POV

A nine-year-old Gen is looking around her parent's bedroom taking notice of the multiple suitcases. She picks up a plane ticket noticing it has her father's name on it and Los Angeles as the destination. "Genevieve!" Her father scolds her. She drops his ticket as he comes into the room. "What are you doing in here?"

"Looking for you. We're supposed to go to the library."

"The library?" Gerard questions.

"It's Thursday. Here it's our new book day." She reminds him. Gerard's eyes widen.

"Uh...oh...Gennie, I forgot."

"That's okay. We can go tomorrow."

"I...I won't be here tomorrow."

"Why not?"

"I..." Gerard looks at his suitcases. "I am going out of town."

"Again?" Gen whines.

"I...I know, but it's for work and..."

"You've been gone a lot, Pere."

"I know I have, but...here." Gerard removes one of the suitcases from the bed. He sits down and motions for Gen to join him. "Do you remember what mama and I have taught you about going for your dreams?"

"Yes. Never let failure keep you from trying."

"Yes, and... I've spent much of my life failing, but..." Gerard tries to explain this to his daughter. "I have made a breakthrough Gennie. I'm going out of town so much in my work, and...the reason I'm going out of town so I can make my dream a reality." He explains.

"And this dream has to take you away from the family?" Gen asks.

"Not forever."

"How long?"

"A little while."

"Like a week? Or more?"

"I...well, maybe you all can join me."

"In California? Can't your work be done here where we all are?"

"This job, Gennie, it's...it won't happen if I don't go to California."

"Why?" Gen asks.

"Because it just won't."

"Why?"

"Because I said so!" Gerard raises his voice which makes Gen jump. "I'm sorry that...I shouldn't have raised my voice." Gerard apologizes.

"You and mama have been fighting a lot."

"She doesn't support this job."

"I don't either."

"You don't even know what it is."

"Before you had this job, we were a happy family; we...we did everything together, and now that you're doing this job, we're...not so happy." Gen explains.

"This job will make me happy, Gennie."

"Aren't we enough?"

"Yes, but..."

"Aren't we?" Gen asks again.

"I love you, Gennie, and your siblings too. I love you guys more than anything."