Taking Chances

I want to warn there is slight mention of triggers regarding Jo's husband Paul.

3rd Person's POV

"Take a paper chart. Make sure your pens work." Richard instructs the staff.

"We're going to paper charts?" April questions.

"Well, it's worked pretty well for two centuries, Kepner." Richard explains. "Okay, everything gets written down, people. And the phones are down, so share cell numbers."

"We should not have each other's numbers." Sam Bello whispers to Andrew.

"Agreed."

"Now gather up every portable monitor that we have. Anything that is not already attached to a patient. They go to the ORs first, then the ICU, and then the ER." Richard explains to everyone.

"Uh, what are we using for ER monitors in the meantime?" April asks.

"We use the old-fashioned kind. You are our monitors now, people. I want you to rotate through your patients. I want you to take and retake your heart rate and BP. Keep track on paper and notify Kepner of changes."

"All right, everyone. Back to the Stone Age." April jokes.

"Disrespectful."

"Sorry." Richard leaves the staff to get to work and heads into the conference room to join Bailey and the FBI agents to discuss how they are going to fix this issue.

__________________________________
"This is big. It is. It's big." Agent Heyward tells them.

"It's a real-time intrusion into our VOIP switches, DCs, and Active Directory." Tim rambles.

"Tim, I didn't understand anything after big." Bailey chimes in. "Just tell me how to stop it."

"Okay, Denver Medical said they stopped the hackers. But I know the chief. It was just PR." Richard exclaims. "They stopped them with money."

"They paid the ransom." Bailey states.

"That is not true. Officially." Heyward shares. "But, yes, you are correct."

"Well, they only want 5,000."

"Bitcoin." Tim reminds them, but no one hears him.

"Well, if that's all they want, hell, I'll write them a check right now." Richard declares.

"Bitcoin!" Tim raises his voice.

"And why does he keep saying that?" Bailey asks.

"They want 5,000 Bitcoin. It's virtual money. Right now, that translates to roughly $20 million!" Tim exclaims.

"20 w..." Richard is lost for words.

"Well?" Bailey turns to him. "You gonna get your checkbook?" Richard says nothing.

"Normally, they hit you for an amount they think you can easily hand over. I don't know why they'd ask for this much." Heyward states to them, confused.

"Because we announced the contest!" Bailey exclaims to Richard. "Oh, they came after us because they think we have it."

"Can we get our hands on that much cash?"

"Bailey, you paged?" Gen enters the room.

"I need $20 million!"

"I..."

"You have a billionaire trust fund money and...I need $20 million."

"You paged?" Jackson pokes his head into the room.