Chapter Twenty-One

I opened the door of the house falling to my knees in the doorway crying. I clutched Matty tightly in my arms rocking him as he cried. I held him closely as he screamed. “Ana, Ana!” I heard screamed from across the road. I looked over as Ms. Marks came running from across the street. She came bounding into the house. “Are you okay? Ana?” She wrapped her arms around me. “Shhh, I’m protecting you. You’re okay.” I looked down at Matty as he clutched me in his arms.

“I have to call someone. I need to take Matty to the doctor.” I looked around.

“I’ll take him to the doctor. I’ll bring him right now.” I nodded as Matty wrapped his arms around her neck.

“My tummy hurts, Violet.” He sighed. I know she always babysat for Danny when he needed it. They’ve been friends for years. He’d be safe with her.

“I’ll take him. It’s going to be okay. We’ve be back soon.” She rubbed my cheek. I let them leave before I pulled the house phone off the wall. I dialed quickly and put the phone to my ear.

“Ana?” Zander said picking up the phone on the second ring.

“Can you come here? I’m scared.” I cried silently. I heard rustling and the clicking of a gun being taken off safety.

“I’ll be there as soon as I can. Hold on. Do you have the gun I gave you?” I wiped my eyes standing up.

“Yes. It’s in my bedroom.” I sniffled my nose.

“Go get it. I’ll be there soon.” I hung up the phone and stumbled towards my room. I fell onto the floor and stayed there as I cried. I didn’t want to move anywhere. I sobbed on the floor not moving.

“Ana!” I heard yelled as Zander came running into the room. I looked over to him as he threw his gun on the bed and dropped to the floor picking me up in his arms. “I’m right here.” He whispered rocking me, just like I did Matty. “What happened?” He asked quietly. I shook my head curling myself up in his arms. “I got you.” He said pulling us up onto the bed.

“Thank you for coming.” I whimpered. He kissed my head stroking my hair.

“I’ll always come for you.  I’ll always be here for you. Always.” He whispered rocking me into a lulled state whispering in my ear. I gave a whimper as he lulled me to sleep…

I woke some time later curled up in a mess of blankets. I put my hand to my head sitting up. I walked into the kitchen to see Zander sitting at the table. “Hey.” He looked up at me putting the paper he was reading down.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” He sat up walking towards me.

“Better, thank you.” He walked over to the stove pouring a cup of hot water into a cup. He pulled out a tea bag and put it in.

“Hello?” Ms. Marks, Violet, called into the house.

“In the kitchen.” I called back taking a sip of the warm liquid. Matty came walking into the room holding a bag. “Hey Bud, feeling better?” He nodded pulling himself onto the chair.

“Yeah. I brought nummies.” He giggled putting the bag onto the table. I looked over to Violet as she put the drinks on the table.

“What’s wrong with him?” I asked her as he sucked on his soda.

“The flu. They gave him a shot for it. You should have seen him when we were getting food. He was bouncing off the walls. It was quite funny.” I smiled at him as he ripped the head off of his chicken nugget.

“Thank you for taking him.” I smiled at her as she opened the food bag.

“I promised your father I’d take care of you all.” She looked at me. “Even when you’re running down the road carrying a screaming child.” She rubbed my hair. “You two are great kids. I am always here to help you.” She had this warm smile on her face. It’s something I haven’t ever really gotten from anyone. Especially not a woman. I looked at Zander as he pulled the food out of the bag. “I called before to ask what you wanted so your friend told me.” She shrugged.