Chapter Nine

“Hi Z.” I said sitting up in bed to rub my eyes.

“I’ll repeat my question. What the fuck were you thinking?” Zander’s voice was deadly quiet. I hate when his voice is this quiet. It means that he’s pissed, killing pissed.

“I’m sorry.”

“Do you understand how afraid I was? Don’t you ever think about doing that to me again.” He was furious. I could hear him rubbing his face roughly. “I was so scared that you were actually going to go through with it this time. I wasn’t there to stop you.”

“I know. I’m sorry. Everything just came crashing down on me and I couldn’t take it. I regret it now. So much.” I listened to Z take a deep breath.

“It’s a permanent fix to a temporary problem.” I pulled the blanket up around me.

“I know Z. I’m sorry. Why did you call Danny? How did you even explain what was happening?”

“I have my ways, my little Annie. You do understand that I will do anything to protect you. If I have to call your stepfather and find where the fuck you are. You are my everything, Ana. He listened when I said I was going to find you even if it killed me.”

“I love you Zander.” I could hear his smile.

“I love you too Kid. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I blinked.

“You’re coming here?”

“You really think I’m not coming to see you after that?” I groaned. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye Zander.”

“Bye, Sweetheart.” I ended the call and peeked out from under that blanket. Danny was looking at me. He walked over to sit down on the corner of the bed.

“I’m sorry I worried you.” Danny took a deep breath.

“I was terrified. Then I get a call from a mysterious man asking me when the last time I’d seen you, if your mother was hostel towards you. I was so scared. More scared than I’d ever been, even in Iraq.” I moved out of my cozy spot and curled up to his side.

“Did he scary you?” He smiled at me.

“He was the one that wanted to help. He promised he’d find you. It gave me a sense of peace that someone believed me and cared about you.” He kissed my head.

“Z was always there for me. Mom hates him and that fact. I don’t know where I’d be without him.” I sighed. “He’s my best friend. He knows everything about me.”

“He loves you. He was freaking out. You called him?” I nodded.

“I regret all of it. It just got so over whelming so quickly I couldn’t handle it.” Danny rubbed my shoulders.

“What happened?” I shook my head.

“I don’t even want to re-live it and it just happened hours ago.” He gently rocked me. I felt the tears hit my hair before I heard the sound of him sniffling.  “Danny, are you okay?” He nodded but the tears still fell from his eyes. “I was told if you keep it in it’s like poison.” He put his face in my hair and cried.

“I thought she killed you.” He sobbed out. I hugged Danny tighter to me. “It was my first thought. That she really did it.” His grip got almost painfully tight but I didn’t want to pull out. He needed the comfort. “It’s my job to protect you now. You’re my little girl now.” He sniffled loudly his eyes becoming puffy.

“It’s okay, Danny.” I whispered to him. He shook his head.

“I adopted you, Dammit! I need to protect you now!” He cried. I put my hands on his face.