Chapter Twenty-Three

I don’t remember falling asleep but I woke up much later. I rubbed my eyes looking over to the alarm clock on the nightstand.  It’s after 11. I sat up untangling myself from my quilt. How did I get on the pillow? I rubbed my head before I got off the bed and made my way downstairs. “Hey, you’re up.” I looked over at my Grandfather.

“I’m sorry.” I sighed rubbing my neck. He shook his head.

“Don’t worry about it. When I went up you were dead asleep. I hope you don’t mind I moved you. You didn’t look too comfortable.” He put the last dish into the cabinet.

“Thank you.” I smiled looking at the fridge.

“There is a plate for you in there. All you need to do is heat it up.” I could feel my stomach growl. A home cooked meal. “I’m off to bed, Kid. Just clean up when you’re done. Schools tomorrow so don’t stay up too late.” He kissed my head before going to his bedroom down the hall. I pulled out the plate of homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, and string beans.

“Yum, yum, yum.” I smiled putting it into the microwave. “Yum, yum, yum.” I looked over to the door as it knocked. I walked into the front room and pulled the door open to be able to see who was there.

“Ana?” Finn asked surprised looking at me.

“Yeah.” My eyes scanned over his face. “What the hell happened?” I gasped throwing the door open. I put my hand gently to his face running it over the bruised skin. His face was red and broken. The blood was dried to the 5 o’clock shadow on his jaw. His eye was swollen and looked incredibly painful, just like his split lip.

“I got into a fight. Don’t worry about it.” He smiled at me, but his smile dropped. “What happened?” His voice was hard as he looked at my face. He touched the cut under my eye making me wince. “Who?”

“Don’t.” I walked back into the house to get my food. I could hear the sound of Finn closing the door as he walked into the kitchen.

“Tell me who hurt you?” He said as I shoved a mouthful of potatoes into my mouth. “Anastasia.” His voice was like being hit with a rock. He pulled the mirror off the wall. “Look at yourself!” There was a dark purple bruise on my cheek going to my jaw. “That’s not nothing.”

“It was her.” I sighed rubbing my forehead. “Alright. Just drop it.” I looked up at him. His eyes were closed and his jaw was tight. He is pissed. “I’m sorry.” I muttered moving the food around on my plate.

“What are you sorry for?” He sighed opening his eyes to look at me.

“I’m a screw up.” I put my fork down and went into the fridge to get a drink. “You shouldn’t be here.” He walked towards me pulling my face into his hands. “I’m not good for you.”

“Let me make that decision, Ana. I’m a big boy.” I leaned my face into his hands.

“I’m nothing but bad news, Finn. I can’t let you get roped into it.” He kissed me.

“I love you. I’ve fallen in love with the girl that was sleeping in my bed. Don’t take that away from me.” I started to cry at his confession.

“No one has ever told me they loved me other than Z.” I wrapped my arms around him as he pulled me into his arms. “No one else made me feel as special as you.”

“Let me be here for you. Let me love you. Let me in.” He kissed me. I could taste the saltiness of his tears on his lips.

“I love you too. I do.” I sniffled putting my head on his shoulder closing my eyes. “It’s just hard letting someone in after so many years of being alone. I never really even let Z in. I’m a selfish person. I don’t want anyone to get close to my heart. I don’t want it to be broken.” He stroked my back gently. “I didn’t want it to be broken when everyone hurt me.”