Chapter Twenty-Seven

I stared up at the huge glass building in front of me. Sanders Incorporated. The whole building was owned by Benjamin’s company. My heart was racing as I pulled the door open and walked in. I watched as everyone went in and out around me. I walked up to the security desk. “How can I help you?” He smiled at me.

“Uh, I have an appointment with Mr. Sanders.” I said rubbing my clammy hands on the back of my jeans. He raised his eyebrow at me not believing me at all.

“Sure, Ma’am, Let me just check.” I looked around at the other guards nervously. “I don’t see any visitors on Mr. Sanders list.” I swallowed nervously. I don’t want my plans of facing Benjamin to be crushed before I even get upstairs. “I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” I looked over his shoulder as an older looking security guard walked over.

“Is there a problem here?” He asked looking at me. He looked familiar but I can’t place him.

“She was just leaving.” The other guard smiled sweetly at me. I ran a hand through my hair taking a deep breath.

“I’m here to see Mr. Sanders.” The guard nodded.

“I can take you up.” The first guard turned around as the older one smiled pointing to the elevator. “Right this way.”

“Jack.” The Guard said as I walked around the desk to walk to the elevator.

“Come,” He smiled pressing the button. My hands were shaking like a leaves in a summer breeze as I pushed them into my pockets. The door closed as he put a key in the elevator and pushed the top floor button. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen you, Ana.” I looked over at him. He smiled at me.

“I’m sorry, I uh, don’t remember you.” He looked down at me.

“It’s been a long time. 4 years now?” I nodded.

“Something like that.” I looked up watching the numbers go up as we pasted the higher floors.

“Does he know you’re here?” I shook my head. “He’ll be happy to see you.” He smiled as the door opened and I stared into the top floor of the building. “It was good to see you again.” I stepped into the waiting room as I rubbed at my chest to calm my racing heart.

“Can I help you with something?” The secretary smiled at me.

“I’m here to see Mr. Sanders.” She looked down at the book on the desk.

“Just sit down over there.” I walked over to a chair and sat down and pulled at the strings on my bracelet. My foot was bouncing as I sat by myself in the waiting area. It hasn’t changed at all since the last time I was here. I looked over to his office doors as the secretary talked away on the phone. I stood up when she turned her back to me and walked towards the door. This is so stupid. What am I doing? I opened the big wood door and slipped into Benjamin’s office. I looked around the office expecting it to be full of people. The room hasn’t changed since the last time I was here, 4 years ago when I was telling Ben that Ryder didn’t make it. His office was roomy. It had a large book shelve nestled against the dark walls. It was covered in old books and little knickknacks. There was still the wall of windows that looked over the whole city. I walked over to the oak desk that sat in the middle of the room. I looked at the picture frames on his desk and picked up the biggest one. A picture of Ryder and me from when he was just a couple months old, from when he was happy. He was reaching for the camera while I tried to hold him so he didn’t fall. We were both laughing, him as he flew towards the camera, me as I tried to hold his wiggling self.  I was so engrossed in the picture I didn’t hear the door open.

“What are you doing-” I looked up to see Benjamin staring at me. “Ana.” His voice was almost silent as he raked his eyes over my face. I’ve never been this nervous before. I’ve known this man for years; I’ve had a son with him. But that all went out the window as I put the picture back on the desk.