Chapter One

I rubbed my face as we were told to buckle our seatbelts and be ready for landing. You’d think I’d want off this plane after being in the air for 10 hours, give or take the hour I was in Texas as I changed flights. I shoved all my things into my bag from my 8 hours of being in a tin can. The lady next to me eyed me curling her lip as I accidently hit her. I rolled my eyes at her as the wheels touched down on the tarmac. I yawned as we got to the gate and the doors were opened for us to leave. “Welcome to sunny Hawaii. Have a good stay.” The stewardess smiled as I grabbed my bag slipping it over my shoulder waiting to get off. I pulled out my cellphone turning it on.

“Anastasia, wait for Danny and his son.” My mother said texting on her blackberry. I never understand her. We’re moving today so she is in a pencil skirt and 5 inch heels. I shook my head crossing my arms.

“Did you have a good flight, Darling?” Danny asked holding his and Matty’s bags waking over to us. He kissed Mom getting an ‘hmmm’ as she focused on her phone.

“I enjoyed the book you gave me.” I pulled it out of my bag giving it to him.

“Glad.” He smiled taking my bag off my shoulder as well as we started to walk to the exit. Matty was telling me about the movies he watched and the video game Danny had bought him before we left.

“You’ll have to play with me sometime. When we get home.” He nodded taking my hand as his father rearranged all the bags.

“I can take mine back, I’m sure it’s heavy.” Danny shook his head laughing.

“Matty’s weighs more than yours.” Matty shrugged smiling as Danny pulled out his cellphone to call whoever is picking us up.

“Danny, honey, I’m going to go with a friend. She wants coffee and they want to meet up.” She kissed his cheek. “See you later.” His mouth dropped as she just walked away from us. “What the…”

“First she’s here and then she’s gone. Nothing new there.” I rolled my eyes.

“She does that a lot?” He blinked as his phone beeped.

“More than you’d ever guess.” I sighed as a car pulled up in front of us. Danny shook his head.

“Ana, this is one of my close friends I’ve known for a long time. Ana meet Taylor Andrews, Taylor my stepdaughter Ana.” I smiled at Mr. Andrews.

“Nice to meet you Sir.” I nodded at him as Danny put our bags in the back of the truck. I buckled in looking out the window as Matty continued to chatter to Danny as I looked down at my phone hoping to get an answer for the text I sent before we left in Texas.

“Annie, you aren’t listening.” Matty growled at me. I looked at him shaking my head.

“I’m enjoying the view.” I shoved my phone into my pocket sighing. He sulks in his car seat as Danny talked to Mr. Andrews making Matty frown. I put a game on my phone handing it to him making him smile and play.

“Hey, Ana, do you think you can take him to get some ice cream or something? I want to get the house ready in silence.” I nodded.

“Sure.” Mr. Andrews pulled up to a little shopping center.

“I’ll come pick you two up. Call me when you’re done.” I nodded opening the door as Matty crawled out. I took the money from Danny as I ran after Matty. We went to a frozen yogurt place where you choose your own toppings. I had to make sure Matty didn’t take everything and put it on his frozen yogurt. He shoved it all in his mouth smiling at me. I shook my head at him as my cell phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out looking at the message.