THIRTEEN

Two days has gone by, and there was still no sign of Isabel anywhere. Dylan, too frustrated to continue his search had asked Fernando if he had clues as to where Isabel might be, but the teenager was of no help, so he gave up trying, to avoid whispers in the pack. Not comfortable with staying in the house without his mate, Dylan decided to distract himself by assisting Xavi in training the pack warriors, and so far, that has been helpful.

Isabel stared at her fingers like they were the most interesting thing. She is currently in her dad's study with her parents.

"If I recall correctly, you told your mom and I that you brought your mate into the pack... So, can you explain to us why you had to go through your heat alone?" Rodrigo asked his daughter who has refused to utter a word to him or his mate since she recovered from her heat.

He tried his best to sound as calm as possible, but there was a distinct edge to his voice. He was ready to unleash his wrath on whoever mistreats his daughter, and didn't give a damn if the person in question was her mate.

"Honey, calm yourself, okay?... You're talking about her mate" Paulina broke the uncomfortable silence in the room, placing her hand on her mate's leg, to help contain his wolf.

"I don't care, Paulina. You saw how hurt she was three days ago"

At the moment, Rodrigo was extremely upset, and nothing would calm him unless he gets a reasonable explanation from his daughter.

Rodrigo has always been protective of his daughters, especially Isabel, who would shoulder the responsibility of the pack. He wasn't in support of his daughter being mated to a werewolf from their rival pack, not just any werewolf, but the son of an alpha, because he was worried her position as an alpha would be threatened, giving Greenwood pack the opportunity to invade their pack. It hasn't been up to a week since she found her mate and his fears are slowly turning into a reality.

"He did nothing, dad"

Isabel's reply left her parents in confusion. Knowing how Isabel behaves during heat, from having to take care of her for several years, they could tell from her screams three nights ago that she wasn't going through physical pain, but also emotional pain.

"Is that all you're going to say?" A perplexed Paulina asked, staring at her daughter, at the same time trying to understand why she was hiding the truth from them.

"I don't remember you telling me the personal details of your relationship with dad" Isabel countered.

"That's enough, Isabel!" Rodrigo's wolf surfaced, causing him to hit his daughter.

The sound of his ragged breathing could be heard in the study.

"Let's all calm down and continue this conversation like civilized adults"

There were two dominant werewolves in the room, and if Paulina doesn't step in to try to control the situation, things could go downhill. She noticed how the father and daughter were both trying really hard to suppress their wolves from taking over.

"She didn't mean any of the words she said" Paulina caressed her mate's cheeks, pressing her forehead against his, so he would take his attention away from their daughter.

Rodrigo closed his eyes to welcome his mate's affectionate touch. He regretted his actions the second he regained his senses, because, besides during her training, he has never struck his daughter.

"I'm sorry" Isabel apologized to her mom.

She was filled with remorse for speaking to her mom that way. Her wolf was only trying to be defensive of its mate, and her mom being the weaker werewolf in the room, ended up being the victim.

"It's alright, sweetie. I understand" Paulina smiled, to reassure her daughter.

The room fell into a comfortable silence until Isabel spoke up.

"He found out about Carlos and I"

Paulina gave a gasp of surprise from the news. Her daughter ended her relationship with Carlos six months ago. How did it get to her mate's ears?

"Did you tell him the truth?" She eventually asked.

Isabel let out a heavy sigh before murmuring a "No"

"Honey, you-"

"She's accountable to no one" interjected Rodrigo

"You're an alpha, and should behave as such"

"Sweetheart, her mate could've misunderstood her"

"It doesn't matter what he thinks"

Paulina turned to her daughter, ignoring her mate.

"Isabel, I know you're an alpha and all, but this is your soulmate. Above everyone else, he should know you best..."

"Are you asking her to let her guard down?" Rodrigo was totally against his mate's advice.

"But you're not guarded around me, are you?"

"These are totally different cases"

"How so? Because he's a male werewolf?"

Isabel watched as her parents debated about her relationship like she wasn't present. This was her first time witnessing her parents be on different ground over an issue, and to be honest, it was interesting to watch.

"Honey. All I'm saying is that you open up to your mate. Let him help you with your burdens. And, above all... Don't treat him the same way you treat everyone else" Paulina concluded with a warm smile.

Rodrigo gulped down a glass of whiskey, not having the will to go against his mate on this subject.

"Thanks, mom" Isabel hugged her mom tightly, smiling to herself.

It was moments like this that makes her thank the moon goddess for not giving her a dominant werewolf for a mother.