FORTY FIVE

There was a sudden sinking feeling in the pit of Rodrigo's stomach as they waited for Isabel and Dylan's return. He couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong no matter how hard he tried. This wasn't a good sign.

Rodrigo stood up from the couch, where he was previously seated and headed for the front door.

"Where are you going?" His mate's soft yet worried voice made him halt in his tracks.

How does he tell her that something bad could be happening to their daughter? Her heart won't be able to take the news and he doesn't want to raise any false alarm yet.

"I need to check on the warriors." He lied.

"Don't lie to me, Rodrigo. I know you can feel it too." Paulina replied.

Her wolf has been feeling uneasy for the past two hours, but she was scared to mention anything to her mate because she didn't want him interfering in their daughter's fight and suffer a terrible fate. He acted on impulse most times, and since it involves his daughter, this time wouldn't be an exception. But, they have to be careful in this situation no matter how worried they are.

"What are you talking about?" Rodrigo pretended not to understand what his mate was talking about.

"We can both sense that something is happening to our daughter." Paulina stated the obvious, leaving out the part that it was a bad feeling.

Rodrigo let out a defeated sigh when he realized that he couldn't hide his plans from his mate.

"As much as we're worried, I don't think this is a good idea." She explained, gesturing at the front door.

"Isabel isn't going to like it." Paulina said in conclusion.

"So, you expect me to sit here worried sick about my daughter and her mate and do nothing about it just because Isabel isn't going to accept me helping?" Rodrigo questioned in an angry voice.

"I didn't mean it that way. I just.. there's a reason she wanted you to stay back."

"Xavi can take care of you guys. Trust me." Rodrigo spoke in a calm and assured voice.

Paulina nodded in reply. She couldn't argue with her mate any further because she was equally worried about their daughter and her mate. It is only right that he does something before the unthinkable happens.

Rodrigo opened the front door and saw Xavi standing on the porch. Xavi who stood guard over the house turned around as soon as he heard the front door open.

"Uncle.." he stared at Rodrigo in confusion, wondering what his uncle was doing outside.

"I need to know what's happening to Isabel." Rodrigo didn't think it was necessary to hide his plans from his nephew.

"Forgive me, uncle, but I can't let you leave." Xavi stated as he stepped in front of Rodrigo, blocking his path.

"I don't wanna hurt you, kid. Move aside." Rodrigo warned his nephew through gritted teeth.

He knows Xavi is only trying to fulfill his duty, but this is his daughter he's talking about and not just the alpha. If it comes down to hurting his nephew for the sake of his daughter's safety, he will do it without regrets.

"I'm sorry, uncle. But I can't go against my alpha's order." Xavi dropped his gaze, to avoid the older werewolf's angry one.

He then lowered his head as a sign of respect to the former alpha, even though he was literally disobeying him at the moment.

Paulina, who was standing behind her mate the entire time tapped on his shoulder to get his attention. Her eyes held worry, fear and sorrow in them as she stared wide eyed at something ahead.

Rodrigo and Xavi followed Paulina's shocked gaze and sighted a lycan approaching, with a person in its arms. This meant Isabel was able to defeat her opponent, but her mate probably got hurt in the process, or worse, he didn't make it.

But why was his wolf more agitated now than it was before?

Rodrigo used his werewolf vision to get a closer look at the figures approaching and was shocked to discover that the unconscious figure was in fact Isabel.

Who then was the lycan? He wondered as he pushed his nephew to stand behind him, incase the creature was his illegitimate son. He would rather die protecting his family from his monster of a son.

The creature stopped in front of the house and carefully placed Isabel's body on the ground.

Isabel's mom, Paulina let out a deep sob as soon as she saw her daughter's injured and lifeless body. She pushed past Xavi and Rodrigo and fell on her knees before her daughter's body. Her entire body racked with sobs.

Xavi looked away as tears welled up in his eyes. He couldn't believe his cousin didn't make it. It was impossible. No one and nothing could defeat his cousin.

Rodrigo on the other hand squinted his eyes while he gazed at the lycan that had its complete attention on Isabel. This can't be his illegitimate son, he thought to himself as he looked harder. It was only when the creature diverted its gaze to him that he was able to see the sadness in its eyes.

"Dylan?" He gasped. But before he could confirm his discovery, the creature ran into the woods.

Rodrigo, who was able to trigger his lycan without having to feel any strong emotion shifted into his lycan form and chased after Dylan deep into the woods. He caught up with the creature just as it was about jumping off a cliff and pinned it to the ground. It moaned and clawed at Rodrigo, but he didn't let it have its way until it gave up trying and shifted back to its human form. Rodrigo also shifted back and engulfed a sobbing Dylan in a comforting hug.

"It's all my fault, Rodrigo. She's dead because of me." He kept saying into the hug, as his efforts to push Rodrigo away were futile.

"I just wanna die!" he sobbed.

His statement angered Rodrigo and he slapped Dylan hard across the face before holding his shoulders firm.

"I won't have a coward for a son in law!" He yelled into Dylan's face.

"Why do you think Isabel gave her all to make sure you stay alive?.."

Dylan didn't need any of this inspirational speeches. He just wanted to die and join his mate wherever she was because living would be meaningless without her. He should've just committed suicide like he had reasoned earlier and let the warriors find their body when they don't show up.

"Think about her sacrifice, Dylan... All of her efforts will be for nothing if you die now."

Rodrigo let go of Dylan's shoulders and stood up, turning his back towards his daughter's mate, as he fought with his own emotions.

No one but him was to be blamed for his daughter's misfortune. How he wish he could turn back time, he would never have gone for a morning run that day.

"I'm too old to run the pack... And I'm sure Isabel will want no one but her mate to take her place."

Rodrigo's words hit Dylan like a ton of bricks. Isabel's last wish was that he becomes the alpha. How would she feel if he acts selfishly and end up endangering her pack. She would never forgive him, either in life or in death.

There and then he made up his mind to think of the Pride pack first before anything else.

Is this the end?