EIGHTEEN

The ride to Isabel's parents' house was silent. Not an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. Dylan occasionally stole glances at Isabel, whose eyes were glued to the road. The thought of meeting his mate's parents without prior notice was making him tensed. Ordinarily, he wouldn't be worried about acquainting himself with new people because he was a social butterfly, but the circumstances were different. He never imagined himself meeting the former Alpha and Luna of the Pride pack in this lifetime. What was the meeting going to be like? Would the former alpha welcome him with open arms or would he be against the union? If the latter were to happen, it wouldn't be a difficult issue since they haven't completed the mating rituals, except his mate does otherwise.

Dylan wiped his sweaty palms against his jeans and used his left hand to reach for Isabel's right hand that was placed on the arm rest. As if on cue, she entwined their fingers while staring ahead. This small action gave Dylan the assurance he needed. He smiled at their entwined fingers and leaned his head back against the head rest, closing his eyes and mentally preparing himself for the visit.

They arrived their destination fifteen minutes later. It was a beautiful duplex, similar to that of his parents.

"Let's go in"

Isabel untangled their fingers, taking her warmth with her. He was once again exposed to the cold and unwelcomed feeling, making his nervousness return. Isabel got out of the car and he wasted no time in copying her action. They walked side by side, but not hand in hand like his brother does with his mate whenever they visited his parents, and Dylan couldn't help but feel like her subordinate. The feeling hurts quite a lot, but in reality that is the truth. He was her inferior.

The front door was suddenly swung open just as they stepped on the front porch by the woman he saw in the painting the day he was brought to the pack.

"Forgive me if I took you both by surprise. I couldn't wait to see the werewolf behind the strong rosewood scent"

Paulina was wearing a warm smile as she approached Dylan, pulling him to herself for a hug. A low growl was heard from Isabel's direction, and her mom immediately hugged her too, to pacify the alpha.

"Good morning, mom" Isabel greeted her mom when the hug ended.

Her mom waved dismissively, returning her attention towards him.

"It's a great honor to meet you in person, Luna. I'm Dylan at your service" He politely introduced himself without being told, bowing his head to show his respect.

"Well. As you already know, I'm no longer the Luna, so quit with the formalities, okay?" She replied with a smile.

"Not bad, Isabel. Not bad" Paulina teased her daughter through the mind-link, earning an eye roll from the latter.

She was impressed by the tall, handsome and muscular guy the moon goddess destined her daughter to be with.

"Call me Paulina if you can"

The statement was directed to Dylan, but Paulina looked at Isabel, seeking her approval. Her daughter looked away instead. It wasn't up to her to make that decision. Her dad calls the shots when it involves her mom. Dylan studied the body language and the eye communication between the pair, taking a mental note to never attempt to call the former Luna by her first name.

"My bad. I've kept you guys out here for too long... Your father is waiting in the living room"

Fear washed over Dylan at that piece of information. His chest tightened while his heartbeat raced as they entered the house. Isabel's mom was easy going even though she was aware of his former pack, but he believed the outcome would be different with the former Alpha.