FORTY FOUR

Isabel kept breaking any and everything she laid her hands on, screaming in rage. She blamed herself for her mate's misfortune. If only she had pressed harder, he wouldn't have fallen into the hands of her enemy.

Why didn't she stop him? Why did she let him have his way? Why did she disobey her instinct? Why?

Thirty minutes earlier, Xavi had reported to Isabel that Dylan was nowhere in the pack, but his car was found parked by the side of the road on the way to the border and Ignacio's scent was in the car.

She was infuriated by the news and vented her anger on the house furniture. Her cousin did nothing but watch his alpha express her emotions, making him feel incompetent and unreliable, because if he had paid utmost attention to the task he was given, Isabel's mate wouldn't be missing.

Fernando had taken the kids upstairs when Xavi arrived to give the older werewolves privacy, so it was just Isabel, her parents and Xavi in the living room.

Rodrigo was holding his sobbing mate tightly, preventing her from going close to the raging werewolf. This wasn't their daughter, but her wolf, and in her current state, it takes only the effort of a mate to calm the wolf. So, there was nothing they could do to help Isabel.

Isabel on the other hand, was one second away from shifting into her wolf and running deep into the woods in search of her mate when suddenly she heard Dylan's voice through mind link.

"Is-Isabel"

Her wolf instantly became calm on hearing its mate's voice. Dylan sounded too weak for Isabel's liking. This made her imagine the worse.

"God damnit! Dylan, say something!" She yelled at no one in particular, surprising her family present.

He sounded like someone groaning in pains, making her wolf angry. She won't spare Ignacio even a second when she gets a hold of him, Isabel made that promise to herself.

"I- I'm in a w-ware.. house." Dylan's weak voice managed to stutter before going silent.

"Dylan? Are you hurt? Talk to me, please." Isabel pleaded as she was already close to tears.

She hated herself now more than ever for depriving her mate of his right because she thought she was protecting him. If only she had his imprint, communication wouldn't be an issue in a situation like this. She would've been aware of what was happening to him from the very beginning, but now she's lost. It was a good thing he still managed to reach her despite what he must be going through in the hands of those scoundrels.

Xavi watched in surprise as Isabel slumped on the floor, crying silently. This is the first time he's witnessing his cousin cry and he felt partly responsible for it. To reduce his guilt, he immediately reached the seer of the Pride pack through the mind link, hoping he would be able to help their alpha.

The pack seer arrived twenty minutes later just as Isabel was about to leave the house, in search of her mate since she now has a clue as regards to his location.

"Who invited him over?" She glanced at her parents, who looked as confused as she was to see the seer on their doorstep.

"It doesn't matter who invited me. What matters right now is what lies ahead." The seer said, staring directly at Isabel.

That was enough to keep the dominant werewolf silent, as the members of the Pride pack, no matter how important they may be, all respected their seer.

Rodrigo turned to look at his nephew, who had his head low when Isabel sat down on the couch, waiting for the seer to begin his divination.

"You did the right thing." He said to Xavi encouragingly, causing a small smile to replace the guilty look on the face of the younger werewolf.