Chapter 8: A Friend from the Sea

Years ago, on Earth. Back when none of them were teens. Drake was at Sasha's house having a sleepover with the girls. One of their activities was the scare dare challenge. Drake, Sasha, Marcy and Anne were all on the roof near the edge.

"Alright here's my dare. I dare you all to jump off the roof and land on the cushion without screaming." Drake said.

"I don't know Drake. It's a three-story drop. You won't reach terminal velocity, but probably break your bones." Marcy said.

"Look, I've done this before. I'm telling you. It's safe. I'll show you." Drake said. He jumped off the edge. Drake landed on his back then got up as if nothing happened. "Alright, now who's next!" he called up to them.

"Cmon, it can't be that bad. Just follow my lead." Sasha said. She walked off the edge, landing on the cushion uninjured.

"How'd that feel?" Drake asked while Sasha was just lying there.

"Exhilarating!" Sasha answered.

Drake called out. "Hey, are you two coming?"

"No thanks dude." Anne said fearfully looking over the edge.

"Yeah, you go on ahead. We'll take the stairs." Marcy finished.

"Looks like they're going in the book of losers." Sasha said with a small laugh.

"Somehow, someway. I'm going to find your weakness. Then one of these days, I'm going to get you into the book of losers." Drake replied.

Anne and Marcy nervously chuckled before running off toward the stairs. They took their time getting down. Once they were all back together again, it was time for the next challenge.

"Alright, now it's my turn. I dare all of you to go straight into the deep end of this pool. You have to hit the bottom before you can get back up." Sasha said.

Drake frowned. "I swear you picked that just to get at me."

"Well, you'll never learn to swim if you don't try." Marcy said.

"Now come on. Just follow my lead." Sasha jumped into the pool first. Then she popped back up to the surface. "See not too difficult."

Then Anne jumped in. She also completed the challenge without incident. After that, was Marcy. She jumped in without fear and came back to the surface.

"Come on in Drake! The water's nice!" Anne called out.

"I don't know guys. You know I can't swim." Drake said hesitantly.

"Don't worry. We'll save you if you drown." Sasha reassured him.

Drake was still hesitant.

"Would you prefer to go into the book of losers?" Anne suggested.

Drake grumbled. "I can't believe I'm doing this." He jumped into the pool. Immediately he started to panic as he sank, and the water went above his head. He flailed around wildly. Eventually he felt his feet hit the ground completing the challenge. He jumped upward but couldn't reach the surface. His lungs began to burn, and he couldn't hold his breath anymore. Drake opened his mouth releasing his last air bubble. He tried to breath in, but his lungs were immediately filled with water. Giving up, he fell backwards unconscious at the bottom of the pool.

Drake woke up startled, breathing deeply. He observed his surroundings. He was still at the coast of the sea. The snapdragon from the day before was sleeping right next to him, confirming he was still in a crazy world. The fire he made the day before had burnt out in the middle of the night. At least he was still alive. Drake got up and noticed the people he had killed the day before. He only had the clothes on his back with him. He needed to loot the bodies to survive.