Chapter 33: Swamp and Sensibility

Drake sat with Hop Pop and Polly on the roof of the fwagon. They were headed up a large hill and it was a bumpy ride.

"I don't think Bessie can take much more of this." Drake said concerned.

"Come on Bessie... come on... almost there." Hop Pop said. Surprisingly Bessie managed to get to the top of the hill. Hop Pop pulled on the reins trying to tell her to stop and rest. That was when they snapped. "Oh, dang it! The ding-dang reins snapped."

"At least we made it to the top." Drake said.

Luckily the fwagon made it over the hill where a herd of fly and sheep hybrid creatures were grazing. Bessie noticed one of them and started chasing it.

"We gotta get these reins fixed or we can't control Bessie." Hop Pop said as he tried to hold on.

Sprig showed up with a map. "Don't worry Hop Pop. There's a town right down the road. See? Ribbitvale."

"Ribbitvale? The most expensive town in all Amphibia? No way!" Hop Pop yelled.

Suddenly the fwagon stopped. Bessie had caught the sheepfly she was after.

"Looks like we don't have a choice HP." Anne said.

Hop Pop sighed. "You're right. But when we get there, don't get sucked in by the fancy."

The family climbed off the fwagon and guided Bessie to the town of Ribbitvale. Luckily it was within walking distance. They stopped right at the entrance.

"Guys, look!" Polly pointed.

The town looked to be covered in precious metal such as gold and copper. The frogs all looked to be aristocrats. Hop Pop wasn't kidding when he said it was the most expensive town in Amphibia.

"So shiny. So sparkly." Suddenly Polly felt a squirt of water. "Ahh!"

"Hey. Hey. I said look away from the fancy." Hop Pop said.

Sprig was also admiring the view. "It's like nothing I've ever seen before. A ten-tier fountain. A solid-gold snail carriage. There's even a One-Eyed Wally. Wait. What?"

Everyone approached him. "One-Eyed Wally?" they all said in unison. Even Bessie who wasn't able to speak but honked instead.

"You didn't tell me you were leaving the valley. You scam." Anne playfully punched the one-eyed frog.

"Oh, um." Wally didn't know what to say.

"Walliam, you know these pungent common folk, do you?" an older frog holding a cane asked.

"Uh, yes father. I met them on my business travels." Wally replied.

"These must be your servants from Wartwood then." Wally's father concluded.

"Servants?" Hop Pop sounded offended.

"Yes. That's right, father. These are my servants." Wally said, patting Polly on the head. She grabbed his wrist and twisted it painfully, but Wally tried not to react.

Wally's father inspected Drake and Anne. "And these two must be a pair of exotic beasts you tamed. Though I sooner would have had them stuffed." he said, nudging Anne in the stomach with the cane.

Anen gave him a death glare while Drake just remained silent.

"Anyhow, I am Wigbert Ribbiton." Wally's father tipped his hat.

Hop Pop stepped forward in surprise. "Ribbiton? As in Ribbtiton's Ribbons? The finest web crusty floss in all of Amphibia?"

"That's us. And when I retire, Walliam here will be the head of the Ribbiton family empire. Right, Walliam?"