Chapter 78: Battle Meetings

Drake held onto Nyx as she swam towards the surface. They alongside the other snapdragons slowly and quietly emerged from the water. They could see newt guards holding lanterns while patrolling the docks. No doubt they were expecting some kind of sabotage in the middle of the night. He held onto a small part of the dock and then pulled himself up, making sure to stay hidden behind nearby crates full of tools.

Once Drake was sure the coast was clear, he leaned back towards the water. "Alright Nyx, have everyone tear apart the ships from below. When it's time for battle, those ships will either have sunk or be inoperable."

Nyx nodded and dove back into the water. The noise from the waves hitting the dock masked any noise the snapdragons were making underwater.

Drake looked on, expecting something to happen. He kept his eye on the nearby lighthouse. Luckily, nothing seemed to be happening. That was when Drake noticed one of the ships slowly sinking into the water. One by one the ships were slowly sinking despite looking in good condition.

An alarm bell began to ring, and torches were lit. Newtopian sailors were running to the docks. It looks like their mission was done.

Drake still had a few hours left with his magical water breathing bubble. He jumped into the water and let himself sink. It was pitch black underwater, but Drake wasn't afraid. The bubble kept the water out and he knew would come grab him. Then they would make their escape back to the siege camp.

A few hours later, Nyx dragged Drake onto the shore. The other snapdragons moved to rejoin the camp, warming themselves by the fires the toads had made.

Drake stood up and patted her on the head. "Thanks Nyx. I'm going to find Sasha. I want to have a final tactical meeting before the battle begins. Hope to see you there." Drake wandered into the siege camp.

Nyx watched as he left. It had been a long night for her but the hard part was done. That was when another creature approached. The grubhog lord, with his painted face. A reminder of the cruelty of the two legs.

"Empress Nyx... we need to talk," the grubhog lord oinked.

"Yes? Is something wrong?" Nyx stood up and hissed in response.

"Yes something is wrong. Why wasn't I brought to the war meeting?" the grubhog lord asked.

"I don't know why you weren't invited to the war meeting but I could take you to the next one that's starting soon." Nyx offered.

The grubhog lord seemed unsatisfied with this answer. "What about that human? Why do you let him boss you around?"

"You mean Drake? He doesn't boss me around." Nyx replied.

"Oh come on, you follow his plans. You let him make decisions. I didn't agree to this alliance to work with two legs. They tried to cut me open!" the grubhog lord angrily pointed out.

"Drake is my friend. He saved me in the valley," Nyx said.

"Are you the master? Or is he the master? It sounds like you shackled yourself to him," the grubhog lord accused her.

"I am the master here! I made the decision to work with Drake!" Nyx hissed, she frilled her fins in anger. Then they retracted. "Drake understands the two legs better than I do."

The grubhog lord paused. "However useful he may be right now, he is still a two leg. Don't let your feelings for him cloud your judgement. Remember our goal," the grubhog lord then crawled away into a nearby bush.

It was still dark in Newtopia. A group of people gathered around a large round table preparing for the coming battle. They had endured this siege for over a month. Victory was finally within sight but it still didn't look good.