Chapter 15: The Loyal Ranger

Marcy stood in front of a mirror, admiring her new look. Over the past few days, her leg had finished healing. She had spent most of that time reading. She had a whole new outfit complete with armor and a blue cloak at her own request. Most notably was her new weapon, a small crossbow mounted to her forearm that was incorporated into her new outfit at her request.

Next to the mirror was a small dark pink newt wearing a white coat. His tail was almost as large as he was which he held like a bag. His name was Bernardo, one of the greatest fashion designers in Newtopia. "Rogues can be difficult to get right but once it's done. You'll never want to change." Bernardo said.

Marcy aimed the crossbow. "Oh yeah!" she exclaimed.

Kerry was sitting on a wheelchair near the door. "You certainly look happy." he said.

"Kerry! Why aren't you in bed?" Marcy asked, surprised he came to visit. One of the guards told her he was in the hospital, but she hadn't seen him since the attack. She expected a wound like that to keep him confined there for weeks.

"My work is too important to let that keep me away. Besides, we've almost cracked the case. I can rest once we're done." Kerry replied. He rolled himself inside. "It took a couple of favors, but I managed to set up a meeting to obtain the final book."

"Oh really? That's great!" Marcy replied. She had spent long hours reading through the other two. The first was a book about the dark arts and magic. It was very intriguing to say the least. The second seemed to be about the various practices, such as amphibian sacrifice. As well as their various beliefs. Most importantly were the various events where the entire cult would congregate.

"Now then, I won't be able to accompany you for this, but General Yunnan has volunteered to help you." Kerry said.

A tall pink newt came through the door. She stood at attention as Kerry continued to explain what will happen.

"We can't risk spooking the cultists so reinforcements will be unavailable. Getting the book is top priority. Once you have it, come straight back, no heroics. We only have thirty minutes to pull this mission off, and we only get one try. I will be waiting for you here at the station."

"My first quest!" Marcy exclaimed as she hopped up and down.

"The meeting is taking place in an abandoned store. It's called 'Sal's Wartwood Style Sandwhiches'"

"Woo! Let's go!" Marcy ran out the door with General Yunnan close behind.

A few minutes later, the two were inside the abandoned store. It was a mess; dust covered every object and most of the tables and chairs were flipped over. Save for one, a round wooden table with two chairs. Clearly, that is where the meeting was going to take place.

"Alright human. I hope you know what you're doing. I'm going to hide behind that counter. If anything goes wrong, just shout." General Yunnan said. She was very straight to the point.

Marcy pulled out her phone and looked at the time. They should be arriving in less than a minute. Unsure of what was going to happen, Marcy sat down on the chair facing the door. Then the door opened, revealing five robed figures.

"So, you wish to join our ranks." one of them said. She sat down on the chair in front of Marcy. The other four began to spread out. "The path is not an easy one to walk. However, the books will provide enlightenment. Are you ready to begin?"

Marcy recognized her; she was the cultist who attacked Kerry. "Yes, I am ready." Marcy answered.

The cultist placed a book down on the table. "Very good, this is the final book. It contains everything you need to know. Once you are done reading, look for a secret message hidden among all three books. Only the smartest may enter the sanctuary."