Chapter 36: Streets of the Capital

A group consisting of six people sat at a round table in front of a restaurant. There were five burgers on the table. "Enjoy everyone!" Marcy announced. "This place makes the best beetle burgers in all of Newtopia."

Everyone began to eat the burgers. Marcy was the only one who didn't order anything, instead she sat down and started writing in a journal.

Polly swallowed her burger in one bite. "What's that?" she asked pointing to Marcy's journal.

"Oh, just my journal. I like jotting down theories and observations. You know, all about the indigenous fauna, medicinal techniques, political nuances of amphibious species-based caste systems." she held the journal over to Polly. "Sometimes, I even do drawings."

"It looks just like me." Polly said in awe.

"Wow, Drake have you been keeping a journal too?" Hop Pop asked.

"Nah, I don't have the patience for that." Drake answered.

"How about you Anne?"

Anne had straws stuck in her nostrils. "Look guys, I'm a straw-lrus. Like a walrus but with straws."

Sprig laughed at her antics then quickly calmed down. "What's a walrus?"  he asked shortly after composing himself.

A waiter approached the table. "Now who should I give the bill to?" he looked at Anne. "Probably not you."

"Oh, I'll take it! It's, oh let me guess... twenty-eight coppers?" Marcy guessed. She was drawing straw-lrus Anne in her journal.

The waiter held up the bill. "Right you are."

"Wow! Can either of you do math like that too?" Hop Pop asked.

Drake shook his head. "Not really."

Anne blew the straws out of her nose. "Uh, you mean like numbers and stuff?"

"Can you imagine if Marcy got stuck with us instead of Anne? We'd be set for life!"

"Hush Polly, think those words, don't say them." Hop Pop scolded.

"Oh yeah? Well... Ahh! Look out!" Anne yelled, ducking under an arrow that passed over her head. It hit the wall.

"Someone's trying to kill us!" Hop Pop yelled, pointing at the arrow that was stuck in the wall.

Drake looked around to try and find the shooter. He noticed a Newtopian guard holding an arrow running away. Drake was about to get up and chasing him, but Marcy caught his attention.

"No, no. It's fine. It's just a message from the king." Marcy picked up a piece of paper that was attached to the arrow. "Oh ho, correction. It's a puzzle gram from the king." This confused everyone at the table. "He's basically hidden clues around the city and when I collect them all, I get a message. Arg, it's so fun!"

"Wouldn't it be simpler to just give us the message and not bother with a puzzle? Seems a bit inefficient." Drake pointed out not wanting to spend more time on this than he had to.

Everyone ignored him. "Okay, this first symbol is a tree so we should head towards Coral Park. Now, come on team. It's puzzle time!"

"A puzzle tour of Newtopia? Count me in!" Sprig, Anne and Marcy ran off to start solving the puzzle leaving Drake, Hop Pop and Polly who were much slower.

"Come on, Polly. This may be our most exciting adventure yet." Hop Pop placed Polly on his head and was about to walk away when a bust boy approached and started cleaning the dishes.

"Hey thanks for coming in. Would you like to join our customer loyalty program? You can get free gifts." the bust boy said.

"Gifts? Free?" Hop Pop turned around.