Chapter 68: Sasha's Champion

Sasha lazily scrolled through the images on her phone. It was mostly pictures of her time in Amphibia. The first time she donned her armor, the day she got her pink heron sword. How did she ever find herself in this situation? A question that she had been pondering ever since the start of the siege.

Percy and Braddock had left refusing to take part in the takeover of Newtopia. Who knows if she'll ever see them again. Anne declared the end of their friendship and who knows what Marcy thinks of her now. Maybe Marcy had a similar feeling. The only one who was still on her side was Drake and he wasn't exactly enthusiastic about what happened.

A part of Sasha wanted to march out to the walls at that moment. She secretly wished a stray arrow would hit her somehow. That way all this could finally be over.

Newtopian horns sounded which broke her out of those thoughts. Sasha ran out of her tent expecting another enemy raid on the camp at worst. The camp was oddly calm though. This was confusing. She looked around and most of the soldiers were acting as though nothing was wrong. The commanders on the other hand were staring at the gates at a distance.

"What's going on?" Sasha asked.

Grime turned around. "The newts are sending a champion to face us," he explained.

In front of the Great Gates of Newtopia. A single newt appeared to be addressing a crowd of people on top of the wall.

"So they sent out one person. Big deal, there's like thousands of us," Sasha brushed it off.

"They are sending their greatest warrior out to prove their superiority. We should send our own champion," Captain Bufo suggested.

"Seriously? What would that accomplish?" Sasha asked.

"It will lower the morale of the newts. It may even convince them to surrender," Grime explained.

"This sounds like a waste of time. Let's just shoot that champion with arrows and forget about all this," Sasha declared.

"This is a time-honored tradition during sieges. To show our own superiority, we send our chosen warrior to kill their chosen warrior," Captain Bufo explained.

"Why do you think I had you duel against Anne back at Toad Tower?" Grime asked. "The defeat of their champion would have broken their spirit and cowed any future resistance."

"I'm surprised we have to explain all this to you," Captain Bufo said.

Sasha felt a knife in her heart. That duel at Toad Tower was an unpleasant memory she wished she could forget. She shook her head, trying to push that image away. "Who are we going to send out?" Sasha asked.

"I was once the fiercest fighter in the colosseum. I'll take care of this." Grime readied his warhammer.

"Wait! You're a key figure in the rebellion. We can't risk having you out there," Sasha protested.

"Then I'll do it." Captain Bufo declared; he drew a katana.

Sasha put her hand in front of him, stopping him from walking. "No, you're also a commander. If we lose you, we're in trouble. We need a champion who isn't an officer. Is there anyone in the army who can fight?"

"If I may. I'll fight on your behalf my queen," a voice suddenly said.

Sasha looked behind her and noticed a small blue toad. He looked rather rough but still incredibly strong. Although Sasha was much larger than this toad, she found him somewhat intimidating.

"Who the heck are you?" Sasha asked cautiously.

"Kharak, at your service my queen. If you need a champion to fight this duel. I can do it for you." the blue toad offered.