Chapter 16

(A/N: THERE'S A LITTLE BIT OF MATURE CONTENT IN THIS CHAPTER. )

"I'm not confused. I just don't want what I want."

-Lauren Eden.

I come awake with a start.

I'm lying on a bed with soft velvet sheets, the covers pulled up to my chin. I no longer feel the soft vibrations the plane made so I assume we've landed.

A few feet away, a door is slightly ajar and I see it's an en-suite bathroom. I shakily get to my feet and walk into it to take care of business.

When I'm done I wash my hands in the sink and splash some water on my face. As I pat dry my face with a towel I look at myself in the mirror.

The towel drops from my hands soundlessly. I walk closer to the mirror in disbelief. My eyes are glowing an emerald green, it had never happened before and it's eerie to say the least. The spatter of freckles on my nose and cheeks are gone.

The change hits me keenly and painfully.

Even though I always hide them with makeup when I go out, they were still a part of me, my humanity. And now, they are just gone. Just like that.

I'm slowly but surely changing.

          Oddly enough I don't feel panicked, maybe because I'm drained from the panic attack I had earlier or maybe because I'm bone tired. The only thing I feel is resignation, and sadness.

Sadness so fierce it makes my heart squeeze painfully.

This is happening Khloe. Whether you like it or not, you're no longer wholly human.

The door to the room creaks open and I slam my eyes shut, willing it with all my heart to go back to its hazel color.

         "Khloe?" Robin calls from the bedroom.

"I'll be out in a minute" I reply, eyes still closed.

Please, please, please. I whisper, heartsick.

He doesn't need to know about me now.

The contempt he feels for the Faes might spill over to me and I have no way of knowing how he'd react to the news

Right now, I'm completely dependent on him. And I still have no idea what the fuck he is. Vampire? Wolf? Both? Is that even possible?

Sure I could book a flight back home and forget about work but then what? I might get fired. I need this job, now more than ever.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly open my eyes. Hazel eyes stare back at me through the mirror and I sigh in relief, back sagging.

I hesitate at the doorway.

What's going to happen when I walk in there?

Cowards.

That's Robin's opinion about Faes.

I'm no coward.

I straighten my shoulders and open the door, face set in determination.

"How are you feeling?" Robin asks.

He's sitting at the edge of the large bed and he points to an armchair beside the window. There's a stool ladled with food in front of it.

"I feel better" I say as I sit on the chair.

I take the spoon from the tray and pause, spoon hovering over the plate as a thought occurs to me.