Chapter 3

"I am Switzerland. I refuse to be affected by territorial disputes between mythical creatures"

                                    -Stephanie Meyer.

"Where are you?" dad asks in a calm voice.

"At Spencer's."

"Baby, the thing is..."

"Answer me dad" I cut him off "Was I bitten by a vampire?"

"Come to my hotel and we'll talk, I promise. I'll explain everything to you"

I hang up and stare at Spencer "You're right."

"Of course I am. If it's any comfort, I didn't know till last night either."

"What happened last night?"

"The first battle in the war. Between witches and werewolves. It was a massacre"

"Witches?"

"Remember the fantasy novels we read? Turns out every creature in them is real. Witches, Faeries, Demons, Angels. Everything you can imagine. There were some creatures here last night taking sides with the wolves that I had no idea what they were. They were something from a horror movie. I felt really bad for the witches as they got torn to pieces."

"Torn to pieces?" I shudder in fear.

"There are a lot of things even I don't know yet, even though I googled some things. Like who are the evil ones? They can't all be evil right? There should be some good ones too, just like with humans. Like are the vampires the evil ones or the good ones?. The witches too, are they good or bad?

Google hasn't been helpful, I just get pointed to a random blog post or to Wikipedia, but I'll persist."

"For someone who just learned about them last night you sure have a lot of insight and opinions" I stare at her suspiciously.

"Why would I lie about that? Seeing them last night opened my eyes. No time for denial if you see it yourself. After they left, I googled shit. When I didn't get the answers I needed, I remembered your dad works in a top secret agency and he goes undercover a lot. So, I thought to myself, wouldn't the government know about this? So, I called him"

"And?"

"He explained a lot of things. There are supernatural beings walking among us on earth, you won't know of course because most of them have human bodies, those that don't have a way of remaining incognito, we're at a digital world and not much surprises us anymore, they probably just say it's a costume for a movie set or something. I'm trying to come up with a name for them, supernaturals is too plain. Mythos doesn't sound as clever as I thought it would be. What do you think of, The Transcendentals? No? I'll keep working on that"

Spencer's rambling. She does that when she's nervous or scared.

"What's going on with you?" I ask "Are you okay?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't I be? What did your dad say?"

I narrow my eyes at her deflection but let her have it. When she's ready, she'll tell me.

"He asked me to come meet him, said he'll explain everything"

"Then you should go. But be careful, everyone is dangerous."

"Even humans are dangerous" I say dryly "I'll be fine."

"Haven't you heard a word I've been saying? They look human. You'll think they're human, until it's too late. Don't talk to anyone you don't know. Don't trust anyone. These things are everywhere. Some of them even work with the government."