Chapter 21

"A star becomes a sun under the pressure of darkness"

                              -M.R. Noble.

I stare at dad blankly "What do you mean? He's both what?"

"That man, no that creature is dangerous. I told you to stay away from him but you didn't. No! you had to go work for him"

"You told me no such thing" I scowl but I'm not sure he hears me. He just continues rambling.

"Oh God. We're dead. The both of us" he moans loudly clasping his head.

My father has officially gone off the rails.

"Dad..."

"No Khloe! He's going to find us. Did you do as I told you?" he walks towards me and starts patting my clothes.

"Dad, stop! I left my phone in his place. There's no way he can be tracking me"

He looks at me dubiously but stops searching my clothes.

"Now, what do you mean he's both. How is that possible?"

He mutters under his breath shaking his head.

"Dad!" I snap.

"Robin Cavanaugh's mother is a vampire, his father was a werewolf. At first he exhibited signs of being both but everyone expected one gene to dominate over the other as is the norm with children with parents of two species. It didn't happen."

I blink as I try to wrap my mind over the impossibility of it "So you're saying he's both a vampire and a werewolf?" I say disbelievingly.

"Don't look at me like that. It's true. That's why mating with him can never lead anywhere. It's impossible for him to get a mate. People say because of what he is, the gods won't be cruel enough to give him a woman. Do you know how many females have mated with him only for him to reject them? He's a cold fish that one."

I stumble back in shock, "A man can have multiple people recognize him as their mate?"

"Mating is not the work of fate, like many people believe. A hormone is responsible for matching you up. It senses who your body's chemistry is most compatible with and is triggered. Once triggered it depends on close proximity with the other person to keep it alive and pumping towards the heart. The saddest part is it only gets triggered once in a lifetime, so If the person your body chose doesn't get the same reaction towards you..." He trails off.

My legs turn to liquid and I fall ungracefully on my ass.

"In such a scenario, what will happen?"

Dad pauses "I've heard it feels like having one's heart cut out of their chest. Every single being this has happened to end up dead in the span of a month or less."

I gasp, completely horrified. It's like...like codependency. Not being able to survive without that one person.

"Do you see why I had to get you away from him? I have to protect you."

The worst part is that despite it all, despite what I now know about Robin, about mates, I still miss him. So much it freaking hurts to breathe.

I'm so doomed.

Dad squats down at my side "Is he aware of your transition? He knows what you are?"

I nod. He springs up immediately, he kicks the closest object, a wooden table, with his left foot, and hobbles around with a curse.