Chapter 4

"The human mind delights in grand conceptions of supernatural beings"

                                      -Unknown.

In my car, I place my head on the wheels and let my emotions out. I cry for my father who lost his wife and then discovered she wasn't even his species. That had to have been rough for him.

I cry for my mother who was born into a world without love, who lost her life to a brother that was supposed to protect her.

Then I cry for myself, the confused 14 years old I was. The heartbroken teenager who couldn't believe her mother could die. Then I cry for the 25 years old I was before my world got shaken.

Then I sit up, wipe my face, and start the car.

At home I indulge in a long bath. Then I get dressed in a little black dress. It stops at midthigh and has a spaghetti strap that crisscrosses at the back leaving my entire back bare.

I debate putting on some makeup, and settle for a swipe of mascara on my lashes, blush for my pale face, and a bright red lipstick.

I wear my black Louboutin pumps, pick up my Vera Wang purse and I'm ready to go.

I call Spencer.

She picked at the first ring "Hey girl. Talk to your dad yet?"

I sigh "Yes. I learned a lot of things, and I don't want to be alone, I need an emotional support friend. When are you moving in?"

She lets out a sigh "I know what you're doing Khloe, but after you left, I gave it a long hard thought. I'll move in this weekend on one condition"

"You don't have to in..."

She cuts me off "I know the house Is yours so there's no rent, I'll be buying the groceries instead and we'll split the other bills equally"

"Spencer..." I begin to argue but she interrupts me again.

"It's not up for negotiation. I know you don't mind me staying with you, Khloe, but if I don't pay my way I'd start feeling like a leech so let me."

"Fine. We have a deal"

"Good"

I can hear the smile in her voice so I roll my eyes.

"Now that's out of the way, I want to unwind, meet me at the Abyss"

The Abyss is a gentlemen's club that's famous for its exclusivity, class, and most of all privacy. Only a number are admitted per night, and they're all card bearing members. A member can invite up to three non-members. It's perfect for me and my aversion to large crowds.

It ordinarily costs an arm and a leg to get membership, mine is sponsored by CEH Inc, courtesy of my boss.

A pause, then "Is that a good idea?"

"I don't know what it is but it's an idea alright. See you in ten." I hang up before she can protest.

The drive to The Abyss is shorter than I expected. Traffic was minimal for a Saturday night.

I text Spencer.

Me: I'm here, where are you?

Spencer: In the cab already. Be there in five.