Chapter 5

"The scariest monsters are the ones that lurk within our souls"

                             -Edgar Alan Poe

"Spence! Get the door!" I yell as I put my earrings on.

"Why do I have to do it? It's your house!" Came her muffled reply.

I roll my eyes at her childishness, not bothering to correct her, it's ours now. I quickly put on my nude pumps, and do a half spin in front of my floor length mirror.

I'm wearing a beige silk top, with a deep V that plunges down. It shows just a hint of a cleavage, but my neck to a little above my belly button is exposed. The sleeves are wrist length and fit smartly. The top is tucked into dark skinny pants that hug my curves.

I look sexy.

"Um...Khloe! You need to get down here!"

I pick up my clutch and quickly put in things I might need. Keys, credit card, driver's license, a wad of bills, and my lipstick.

I dab a little perfume behind my ears, then spritz it in the air and walk through it.

I check my phone as I go down the stairs to check the time. 7:30.

"You're done already Spencer? That's a nice change. You used to take forever to..." I trail off when I realize she isn't alone. There's someone sitting on the couch, he's facing the windows so I can only make out the back of his head.

"Wow. Khloe you look...amazing"

"Yeah? Thanks. Who is this?"

"Oh. Him? He's here for you." She says with a smug grin.

I frown in confusion "Me?" I squint at the guy sitting stiffly on the couch "Do I know you?"

He stands up and turn to face me "We met last night Miss Jenkins"

My jaw drops in surprise as I recognize him "Wha...What are you doing here? How do you even know here?"

"Since you're ready, I assume you got the flowers" He says, choosing not to answer my question.

"Flowers? What flow...You sent the flowers? With the card?" I ask incredulously.

"No ma'am. Mr. C did. Since you're ready, can we go now?"

"Um. Actually, I have a date with my friend here and I can't just leave her alone. Extend my apologies to your boss and..."

"Khloe, it's fine. I understand. Go have fun" Spencer cuts me off.

I squint my eyes at her, smiling sweetly "Spence, Remember girl code? I don't..."

"Don't worry about me! I'll watch some movies I've been dying to see and I can bawl my eyes out without feeling self conscious . I'll be safe here" She smiles sweetly back.

For the first time I realize she's in a baggy NYU sweatshirt and shorts.

"You didn't get dressed? Why?" I glare at her feeling a little set up.

"Of course not" She rolls her eyes "That would've been silly since I knew the flowers were yours, even if you didn't."

I gape at her, surprised beyond belief. "What?"

"Go on" She shoos me away.

From my fucking house.

I narrow my eyes at her, letting her know without words that she'll pay for this.