Chapter 7

"Be careful fighting someone else's demons. It may awaken your own"

                                 -Bryant McGill.

I'm about to go to bed when dad calls me.

"I got your message darling. Are you okay? What happened? You almost gave your old man an heart attack"

I settle into my bed "Hi dad. Sorry about the almost heart attack"

"It comes with the territory. What's up?"

"It's about mom"

"What about her?" He asks cautiously.

"I can't remember her"

"What? You remembered her just fine last week"

"I did but earlier today I was thinking about her and I couldn't remember her voice or how she even looked"

"Since you remembered her last week I don't think it's anything serious. You might've had a stressful day at work, that might have caused it"

"Oh yeah. I met someone today, I think she's an Aether. Dad can Aethers tell if you're human or not"

"Who??"

I chuckle a little "Aethers. That's what Spencer and I are calling the nonhumans"

Dad laughs "Aether, has a nice ring to it. It sounds like ether. What does it mean?"

"Basically beings from extraterrestrial spheres"

He chuckles "To answer your question, yes, they can. They have hypersensitive senses, some of them can even see auras. Human auras are different from theirs, that's how they recognize each other. Each species has an aura specific to their race. Why do you ask?"

"The Aether I met said something strange. She asked me what I was. She said even though I seemed human, she knows I'm not one"

"What? Honey, are you feeling okay? Have you noticed anything different about you? Did you eat something different?"

I shift my phone away from my ear to look at it in surprise before returning it to my ear "What? Dad, no. Why?"

"Because for her to say that, it means you're no longer completely human" He says slowly.

I drop the phone like it's hot coals. Then slowly pick it back up.

"What do you mean I'm no longer completely human?" I'm glad my voice is steady, because I'm feeling anything but.

"You're still human. But I think your dormant genes are starting to stir. Whatever it is you're doing that's different, you need to stop it. Because once the Fae genes are stirred, it will be extremely easy to trigger them. A burst of anger, happiness, anything, even excitement"

I gape disbelievingly "Are you asking me to stop feeling then? Because I don't think that's possible dad. I can't just switch off my feelings"

"Of course not. I'm asking you to stop whatever it is you're doing that stirred it" His voice is clipped, like he's trying not to lose his cool.

"But I didn't do anything! I eat the normal food I've been eating" I pause "I mean I ate seafood yesterday, could that have been it? I haven't eaten seafood in forever"