28

"I've been dancing with the devil for too long, and in the end, I got burned," Evelina mourned. "You had your chance with me, Luca. You're going to die alone. Die miserable. Die with nobody loving you. You push everyone away. Ruin every good thing that happens to you. I'm going to find a man who treats me right, loves me for who I am. Doesn't expect me to conform to a world I know nothing about. Doesn't treat me like a cheap whore, or sleeps with other women, while claiming to want to be with me."

She turned on her heel, making her way out of the room, her eyes bloodshot, her face swollen. She stopped at the door, and turned around for a split moment, looking at me dead in my eyes.

"One day, you're going to fall in love with a woman, and she's not gonna love you back. And you'll realize that no amount of money and pittance you have to offer is ever going to make her feel the same way about you," Evelina murmured. "How can anybody love you? How can anybody love such a pathetic excuse for a man? You deserve to die."

And then she walked away, leaving me dithering in her wake.

Knowing that she was telling the truth.

Knowing that she was right.

Knowing that she meant every.

Single.

Word.