30

"It's gonna be fine," I reassured him.

I spent the last two years hating myself and despising myself for what I'd become, and ashamed to be my father's son. I didn't want me to carry on in his legacy being such a terrible person. Everything that had happened with the Muslim family getting shot down and my Pops passing away, had left me beyond fucked up for a long time.

For a long time, I tried to put my all into business, and put my all into the Mafia. But keeping myself busy didn't numb the pain, or the empty feeling inside of me. No matter how much money I made, no matter how much territory I expanded. It wasn't enough for me.

It was never enough.

Money truly didn't buy fucking happiness, and didn't fill the void within me, buried deep in my black soul, my shattered fucking heart.

I figured that spending time back in my home country would help me to get my head straight. To forget about business for a while, to forget about my responsibilities for a while. To clear my mind, and get myself in the right headspace. Just needing a break from fucking reality.

Fizz insisted on coming with me, to be there for me whenever I was low. Even after how many times I'd proved I was unworthy of his friendship, he always continued to pull through for me.

I left some of the other men taking care of business back in Manchester, while me and Fizz were away. I didn't know how long we were going to be leaving. Could be a few months, could be years...

However long it would take for me to get my shit together.

I knew that we both sure as hell needed this break.

I needed to find myself a woman too. I knew that things were beyond fixing with Evelina. She'd moved on from me a long time ago, and found herself a new man who treated her right.

The way that I never did.

She was better off without me.

I needed to do something that my dad would have wanted me to do, that my dad would have been happy with. And that was getting married and having a family of my own.

I didn't care to find love, I knew that love didn't exist for criminals like me. I would happily have an arranged marriage and just get on with my life, and try my best to stop sleeping with whores.

I'd been fucking broads countlessly these past few years, but it didn't bring me happiness. No matter how big their tits were, no matter how round their ass was. All it did was give me a temporary high, and then I'd be back to feeling like complete and utter shit the next morning.

I was craving something deeper. A real connection...

And I just couldn't get that from sleeping around.

It was time for a new beginning.