34

It was the same with men. Finding a man and getting into a relationship was the least of my worries. Especially hearing all of the horror stories of women getting cheated on by their long-term partners. Or the fear of getting with an emotionally unavailable man, who only wanted you for sex. Who would sell you dreams and tell you how much he loved you, when in reality, he was just telling you what you wanted to hear, in order to get what he wanted. It scared me that you could never really know what was going on in somebody's head. How somebody could claim to have feelings for you, but could just be manipulating you the whole time, using you to forget their ex, or using you until somebody better came along.

I'd worry about finding a man later on in my life, because right now, falling in love was seeming like a myth in this generation, when there wasn't a loyal bone in anybody's body. I just wanted to focus on myself. That was why life thus far, I'd never even been touched by a man. I hadn't even had my first kiss yet – let alone had my virginity taken.

I yawned loudly, a sudden knocking on my bedroom door causing me to jolt upwards and snap out of my thoughts. My eyes darted to the direction of my door, where my father made his way into the room.

"Hey Zara," he waved.

"Hey Dad," I shrugged. "What's up? Did you want me to cook you some food?"

"No, love," Dad replied exhaustedly. "I'm getting tired of watching you laze around in bed all day. Why don't you go out and do something, make some friends? You don't need to be at home looking after your old man all the time."

I couldn't help but to giggle in response.