Chapter 4

"You want my opinion?" Sai asked, later that day as she laid on my fluffy green and yellow checkered covers.

"Nope, I really don't."

"I think," she continued, anyway, "you should do it. If it's a hot guy, double yes."

I shoved her arm, pushing myself up on my elbows to peer down at her. "You have a boyfriend, Sai."

"And you don't so it's completely fine."

I shook my head. "I can't."

"Why? Because it's a boy? If you don't at least surround yourself with them, how are you going to survive seeing a boat load of them at college? I'd get it if you were going to either become a monk or a nun but I take it that that's not the case." Flopping back down on the bed again, I let the soft cushions sink into me. "Look, you mentioned the guy was speaking to Jordan, right?"

"So?"

"So, if he sees you walking that guy's dog then maybe Jordan'll think you know him and talk to you, too."

I pursed my lips. "Really? What if he finds out I don't know him?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there. What matters is you find some way to talk to him. It's even more incentive to do it."

Mulling over her words, I hummed. This was harmless. I wasn't speaking to him because I wanted to. I was only doing it because I wanted some extra money. "I'm not even doing it for the guy," I repeated out loud. "I'm doing it for the cute dog."

"Is he hot?" Sai asked a second later.

"Very," I whispered, covering my cheeks with my hands. "I don't think I've ever seen a guy like that before. He even has tattoos."

"God, you sound like a kid." I frowned. She wasn't wrong. "Who knows if he's actually hot? Your radar regarding dudes isn't the most up-to-date."

"Hey!" It was like I was punched in the gut. It was true, but it wasn't that bad! "What about Jordan? You liked him, didn't you?"

"Oh shit. You're right."

I lifted my chin in the air. "See?"

"Jordan or the neighbour?" Sai quickly asked. Where was this even coming from?

"Jordan, of course."

"It's official. You're whipped already."

I glanced over at the door before putting a finger to my lips, trying to stop my cheeks from splitting wide open. I'd never been able to have this conversation with Sai before, just teasing each other about boys and crushes.

It felt nice.

"It's just a harmless crush," I said, "there's nothing wrong with looking from afar, right?"

***

The next day, I made a decision. Talking to Sai really had cleared up some of the doubts that lingered.

For the dog, Shyla, for the dog, I told myself. I didn't really need to tell myself that, because I knew it was for the dog. I loved dogs.

"I'm gonna go talk to the neighbour about his dog," I called as I headed to the living room. Since it was a weekend, my dad was sprawled on the couch, watching something on the television and my mom was experimenting with some new knitting techniques. At least, I think, considering the scrunched-up red ball in her hand.

She put the knitting sticks down on the dining table and turned. "What changed your mind?"

"I talked to Sai and she gave me some really good advice."