Chapter 51

The Garden Lounge was true to its name. The bar was inside but there was a glass door at the back that led to a small, picnic-esque courtyard. Twisted around the legs of chairs and the white picket fence closing us in were yellow fairy lights. Round tables were situated on fake grass to properly watch the entertainment that was right at the front.

The amphitheatre was small, the stage riser giving it the height it needed for people at the back to see, as well. It was held up with four beams in each corner, pink and white stage lights reflecting off it to give it a bright glow beneath the black sky.

Of course, the stage lights atop shone down on the instruments left out and I could only imagine seeing Caden and his friends like true rock stars. The stage itself was all black with only the steps to get up to it being painted white. The curved black roof formed a canopy over the stage.

This place was packed with people. The tables were filled and I found myself standing, again, despite coming early. It was better than a club, though. No pounding music, no nightmares about the drugged incident where the whole world seemed to be spinning, no toe-stepping.

No more of that for me. I know, I said that last time as well, but this time no meant no. Peer pressure wasn't my cup of tea.

Heya cutiee, are you already there? Paris texted.

Yup, when are you and Jordan coming?

We're heading over rn! <3 say hi to caden for me hehe

She loved to tease. I pushed back the giddiness that bubbled within me like a can of fizzy soda that had been shaken and left to its own devices. If it was her that drugged me...well, our friendship would never be the same.

I didn't want to know. I'd pushed that behind me. I hurried past people and the maze of tables to go back inside the bar, where Caden and the others were resting before it was time to go on stage.

My heart was thumping on behalf of them, but here they were, lounging in chairs and chatting amongst themselves. Caden was nowhere to be seen, and I turned around, only to bump into said person.

"Speak of the devil." I beamed.

The green of his eyes sparkled from under the dim lights. "Here I am."

"I was looking for you—I wanted to ask how you were feeling."

"Great." He moved to the counter, leaning against it.

"Not nervous?"

He gave me a sly side glance. "You asking that 'cause you want me to be nervous?"

"I was wondering if you'd like a pep talk or something. Usually at around this stage of a movie that's what happens."

He snorted. "You want to give the master of confidence some tips, now?" he joked. I laughed.

Someone cleared their throat from behind me. Tristan had a fist over his mouth. "Get a room," he coughed into his fist again.

Trixie and Harry glanced at each other and snickered, the former zipping up her jacket and wrapping her arms around her. I shook my head. Sometimes they could be so immature.

"We're just talking—" I broke off when Caden's arm loosely slipped around my waist, guiding me aside and away from where they were. "Caden?"

"Can you stay back?" I tilted my head at this odd request but took a step back anyway. He drew his eyebrows in together, though from the quirk of his lips I could tell that he was more than just amused. He hooked his fingers through the belt loops of my jeans and tugged me back to him. "Not like that," he murmured. "Stay back tonight after the show. I have something I want to say to you."

The close proximity had turned my brain to goo. So much so that I didn't fully register what he said.

"We're on in ten, Caden," hollered Harry. "Stop flirting and hurry up. Tonight's gonna be a great show."

He lifted up one finger—to tell him to give him a minute.

"How're you feeling?" he asked me.

"What do you mean?"

"After what happened with Leo."

My heart bloomed at the concern in his voice but didn't allow myself to overthink things. "Losing a friend is hard...but what can I do?"

"You have us."

"Hurry up, dude!" Tristan exclaimed.

He pulled away from me, but not before placing a large hand atop my head and leaning down. His lips grazed my ear. "Keep your eyes on me," he whispered.

Heat filled my body and tremors took over my muscles as he flashed a lazy smile at me. He knew what he was doing to me. At least I think since I was an open book.

I didn't know if that was cruel or if that's how guys like him worked. Either way, it worked on me. It melted me into a puddle right at his feet. Even though his lips barely touched my ear, I wondered what it was like to be kissed by him. To be his.

That was something I could only dream of. Not something reality would let me have.

"What was that?" I could barely find my voice as he stepped back.

"A reminder."

He slipped away to join the others out onto the courtyard, leaving me to my conflicting thoughts. Why, I wanted to ask him. He had done what he did on the trip because he wanted to prove how much of a bad guy he was. But he wasn't. Not anymore.

What was he trying to achieve by doing all this now? Didn't Trixie and him have something? I tried not to think about it. I tried not to think about it as Jordan and Paris came through the doors five minutes before their performance, and I tried not to think about it as they began to play.

The whole courtyard reverberated with their music, people in the chairs taking videos, some grooving along and others—mostly young girls—clapping and squealing.

"They're pretty good, aren't they?" whispered Paris, leaning into me. Since the stage was close to the audience, it was easier to get a full view of them despite not standing at the very front.

Jordan bopped his head up and down. "I didn't know they were this good." He smiled at me. "I'd say your boyfriend's doing great."

What was with these two? "He's not my boyfriend."

"Then why can't he take his eyes off of you?" teased Paris.

"He's no—" My voice got caught in my throat as I swivelled to see what she was pointing at. And she was right. He was standing close to the mic, lips right near it, eyes on me as he sang the next few lines about redemption and being saved by an angel. The sound of his guitar reverberated through my bones.

"You were saying?" I could hear Jordan snickering from under his breath and Paris slapping his chest in an attempt to shut him up.

I didn't care about any of that. I was glued to the ground, the roots tangling themselves around my ankles and keeping them still, my eyes never straying from his. He wanted me to watch him, and only him.

And he was doing exactly the same.

Despite not knowing why he was so adamant about me doing that, despite the warnings that he was trouble and not available, I never listened because I wanted to find out more. Did I even want to listen?

Well, maybe. To save my weak heart from fluttering about just because of the way he was staring at me.

Halfway through the song where Trixie was supposed to rap, she stopped altogether. No touching her guitar, not even singing. Murmurs went along the crowd as Tristan and Harry looked at her then at Caden.

"Everyone," she boomed, her voice echoing loudly through the mic. "Before we continue, I have a confession to make."