Chapter 45

I fully expected to be back at home as my eyes begrudgingly tore open. My vision was blurry, my stomach swirling around in warning that if I moved, I would probably throw up. My body felt heavy, like I had two sumo wrestlers laying on my back.

I let my eyes close for a second, getting my bearings. The club wasn't hot anymore. Instead, a chilly wind rushed over me, getting rid of the flimsy layer of sweat that had formed.

My palms met with gravel digging into the skin as I pushed myself up. I stayed rooted to the spot before opening my eyes again. Only to see that I wasn't inside the club at all. I was facing the parking lot, with nothing but a few cars here and there under the golden lamp lights that flickered in the dark night. A gasp left my lips as I scrambled to stand up, shifting my head left and right.

Wha—how did I end up here? Where am I? My legs were like in one of those videos of newborn deer, their legs unsteady as they were just learning how to use them.

Looking up at the wall I was at, I saw that I had actually been laying on the floor in front of the black dumpster right outside the club. There was a green door that slammed open right in the middle of the brick building, two young women hurrying out, giggling to each other. They glanced at me before turning back to their conversation.

I was still there, but outside. How had I ended up here? I swear I'd passed out inside. Someone saw me and just placed me outside? "What's going on?" I groaned, my head throbbing. I needed to sit back down, so I did. I leaned my back against the dumpster.

Did Leo drug me? But Paris was given something by him, too, and we both had different drinks. She wasn't here. The chill of the night, despite being summer, wasn't what made me wrap my arms around myself, goosebumps rising on my skin and bile burning at the back of my throat. With a shaky hand, I fished my phone out of my zipped pocket.

13 missed calls. From my parents and Sai but also from Caden.

15+ texts.

Mom: What are you doing? Didn't I tell you to come back early?

Mom: I hope you're happy. We ended up going without you. Do you know how embarrassing that was when Brandon was looking forward to seeing you again?

Mom: What's going on? Why haven't you been responding?

Mom: Shyla, this isn't funny. 

Mom: Your friend told me you're out doing drugs?! What on earth is going on with you? I thought everything was okay. Where the hell are you?

Sai: shyla your mom called me in a panic. she's a sobbing mess! idk what's going on but you need to call her back.

Sai: can you please tell me what's going on? Who are you with? Where are you?

Sai: bitch this better not be a joke. Tell me where u r and I'll pick you up.

Sai: Shyla Mohan. this isn't the time to be joking around.

Dad: sweetie, where are you? text when you read this. We won't get mad.

Someone told my mom I was doing drugs? Oh my god. I wiped my runny nose on my hand as I checked the time they were sent. Half past eight. It was nearing midnight now. I caught sight of Paris, Trixie and Leo's names. They all had the same message sent from me:

I'm gonna leave guys, bye

I never remembered sending that. Then again, I didn't remember anything that had happened up until now. My thumb hovered over Caden's name. It had been a long time since we'd texted.