Chapter 15

"How were they?" asked Jordan for the first time as I gave him back his dogs for the day. He let his gaze wander around the neighbourhood.

I was about to stutter out something like 'Wow I can't believe you're talking to me' but then stopped myself.

Drawing in a deep breath, I said, "Wonderful, as always." He gave me the cash into my open palm but didn't let go.

"I was actually wondering," he started when I looked up at him in confusion, "if you wanted to...I don't know, maybe go out to catch a movie or have dinner or something?"

Was I hearing things? Did Jordan Williams ask me, Shyla Mohan, out? Caden had the touch of God if he could make a miracle like this happen. Without even thinking of the consequences or what this would mean, I jumped to say, "Sure, a movie sounds nice."

I skipped back home, glancing at the blue house next to mine. I wanted to tell Caden this as soon as I saw him, but I hadn't seen him in a while. And I didn't want to stand out here near my fence like I was waiting for him. My whole being was itching to tell someone the good news when Sai, with her perfect timing, recklessly parked right near the pavement to my house and got out. 

"I hate my dad," Sai exclaimed, slamming her car door shut. I grimaced a little, but didn't say anything in fear of angering her even more. I gestured for her to come inside and we both headed to my room. She flopped, stomach down, onto my bed, her feet up and tangled with the fluffy blankets.

"What happened this time?" I asked, climbing next to her on the other side.

"He thought I was drinking again. I didn't even touch his stupid bottle. I was only cleaning up the glasses that he was using to drink. I don't get him. Why doesn't he respect me?"

"Maybe he's just worried."

"Oh, yeah, sure." She rolled her eyes. "He wants me to drink again so he can use that as an excuse to get rid of me."

"Sai, don't say that." I reached out to embrace her, and she rested her head against mine.

"Sorry for the outburst," she said after a few minutes of calming down. "By the way, you never ended up telling me how that date went."

"It wasn't a date. Caden invited me over to hang out with him when Paris and Jordan happened to be there. To plant a seed of curiosity in him, I guess."

"And?" She swiped at her cheeks that still had tear tracks left, leaving her makeup muddy and dark. "Did he?"

"He asked me out today," I whispered, "just before you came."

All trace of sadness was gone from Sai's face. She bounced on the bed as she grabbed my upper arms. "He did what?!"

"He asked me out." She covered her mouth like it was the biggest surprise she had ever gotten. I shoved her shoulder. "Come on, it's not that surprising."

"Uh, yes it bloody is. You've been practically a hermit since I've known you! Weren't you the one that said you wanted to focus on studying?"

I pursed my lips and leaned back into my pillows. "I surround myself with people who are bad influences, clearly."

"You brat." She shook her head. "I can't believe it. You know what, we should go on a double date."

"Your boyfriend's still back home. How would we do that?"

"True...and it's your first date. Don't want to overwhelm the dude, right?"

I bit my bottom lip. My mind wandered back to Caden. I wish I could ask him about what to do. He had only said he'd help me lift up my confidence because I saved Chunk but I hoped we had become somewhat acquaintances.