Chapter 41

I was doing a good job ignoring Caden after that little conversation in my room but my parents loved to ruin my plans.

"Shyla, do you mind going out to grab some more drinks?" Dad asked, rushing over to me from the kitchen. His face was wrinkled and all patchy.

"You didn't buy everything before?" I asked him.

"I only bought a bottle of coke and as you can see —" he gestured to the now spilt coke on the floor, kids giggling around it, "— that's not an option."

"What should I buy? More coke?"

"Juice, coke." He leaned in to whisper conspiratorially. "Oh, and you might want to go with Caden."

I startled. "What, why?!"

"Your mom used sesame oil for the chicken marinade and Brandon's allergic."

Oof. That was bad. But going with Caden was double bad. "And I have to go with Caden, why?"

He gave me a look like he couldn't believe he shared blood with someone as stupid as me. "There's a grilled chicken place right near the store. Your mom asked him for help but it'll be easier if you both go in one car."

"What about my foot?" I spluttered, not wanting to go. "The bleeding cut?"

"Your mom said she was told it was nothing serious — that you were given antibiotics."

"It still hurts to walk on it."

"Shyla." The warning was clear.

I sighed, but not before trying my hand at a final excuse. "You really trust me to go with a guy by myself?"

He narrowed his eyes. "I thought you wanted us to be more lenient. We're giving you the freedom —"

"Okay, okay. I get it."

"Actually - maybe don't mention it to your mom," he said, hesitation crossing his features as he tugged me to the corner. "She's still...you know." I did know. She was still grieving. I nodded and dad passed me his card. He glanced down at my foot. "Do be careful. I don't want to be the reason that cut gets worse."

"I'll blame you and mom will finally see your true colors." He chuckled before guiding me over to Caden. He angled his body in our direction before saying something to the woman he was speaking to and turning back to us.

"Want me to go now?" asked Caden, putting his beer bottle down on the table.

"Do you mind taking Shyla with you? She's got to buy some things from the grocery store nearby."

Caden's gaze flickered toward me. Nothing in his features gave away what he thought. "Sure."

I followed behind him, a little slower than usual, trying not to put too much pressure on my foot. "I swear my parents are sadists," I mumbled, "why would they get me to go? And with--"

"Finally gone crazy, huh?" Caden's voice startled me into looking up. We had reached his car and he was standing on the driver's side, arms across the top. My skin rose with goosebumps as his eyes flickered with amusement.

"Uh...um, what?"

"You're mumbling to yourself."

Well dang it. "I...was thinking."

"Out loud."

We didn't say anything, neither of us blinking away from the other. Then I inched toward the passenger side of his car as the air felt suddenly unbearable.

"Let's go?" He didn't answer. He opened the door and got in.

Oh god, this is going to be so awkward, I thought. The air con filled in the silence for us, the rush of it pulsating in my ears as I looked out the window. We passed by the roundabout and into the main strip of mini-stores lined up against the street. He stopped by the charcoal chicken place first and I hobbled after him. He opened the door for me but it was a tight squeeze past him, my breasts grazing his chest.