Chapter 6

My phone dinged. And dinged. And dinged.

I puffed out my cheeks as I stopped playing tug-of-war with Milo in the living room to pick up my phone. It was from Sai. Tons and I mean tons of photos of alcohol bottles and mugs of beer filled to the brim were sent my way with a text saying:

ahhh so many temptations....how's a girl to stay sober with this shit around?

Chuckling, I responded with:

You better not touch them :p ill be watching you.

oooh so scared. Bite me.

I sent her a rolling eyes emoji and she sent one of her laughing. After what seemed like hours, but was only two, Paris came back. Once I let her in, she stretched her arms over her head and smiled one of those dazed, longing smiles. "It feels great to be home." She greeted Milo and Turd who gave her sloppy kisses before she said, "They been good?"

"They were angels as always."

"You want to stay a little longer?"

"I should probably go," I said, pointing to the front door vaguely, "I have chores to do and my parents will wonder where I've been." I headed back home when my phone chimed.

holy shit, you won't believe who's here.

My heart froze just like my feet at that moment. Don't tell me it was my neighbour. Who? Dont scare me like that. Tell me!

She sent a photo, a very discreet one where it looked like she was taking a selfie, but it was angled so that I could see over her shoulder. It was Jordan sitting at a booth with his friends, with what looked like a chess board in the middle. With that photo, she added: get over here already!

I bit my bottom lip. Should I go? I had things to do at home. As I bounded into the living room, the TV was turned on but my parents had fallen asleep, snoring away. Giggling, I shook my head as I washed my hands and got ready to do the dishes. But then my phone pinged again and I realised I hadn't responded.

Crud, I cant come now sai. I have to do the dishes.

do them later! this is your one opportunity to change things.

Change things how? I told you I didnt want to change anything.

LIVE A LITTLE.

Those words glared up at me in big, white letters. As if Sai was standing right in front of me and shaking my shoulders. It wouldn't hurt...right? I'd only be seeing him and saying hi and coming straight back. I was an adult. Adults did this all the time. I quickly apologised to my parents in my head and promised I'd do everything once I got back as I hurried over to the address Sai sent me.

I was going to do this. I was going to see Jordan and...somehow play it nonchalantly.

The bar was more like a cafe and bar combined into one. The floors were black and white checkered tiles but the booths were a deep oak brown and there was a bar at the very front, with long black stools. On one of them was Sai, her denim jacket flexing against her upper back as she leaned over her phone, I assumed.

"Sai," I hissed, as I headed over to her. I touched her shoulder and she looked up, forehead easing. "What do I do?"

"Don't panic," she said, putting her phone down. "Just act cool. Like you just bumped into him by chance."

"Bumped into him? I'm standing right here."

"I didn't mean it literally, you bimbo. Talk to him as if you're talking to me."