Chapter 35

Caden's face was indescribable. As empty as ever. Or so I thought. His eyes had considerably darkened as he bent his head to look down at me. There was a heat there I had never felt from him — an intensity that crackled in the air between us and made my knees wobble and my breath rattle. Not in a dangerous he's-gonna-kill-me way.

But something else entirely.

I didn't know what it was.

We were so close I could feel every exhalation of his chest, his naked upper body heat transferring to mine. All of a sudden, I felt something physically slip away from me.

Nothing in his piercing expression told me something was different.

Until I looked down.

My bare breasts were pressed up against his exposed chest. Almost immediately a high-pitched scream ripped through my lips. My arms came up in a criss-cross to cover my breasts, even though he wasn't even looking. The blood bubbled in my veins, going from the roots of my head to my toes. Every part of me flushed.

I wanted the sandy ground to open up into two and swallow me whole.

Caden blinked, and the intensity that I saw beneath those green eyes of his was gone. In its place was a flicker of rogue delight. "Calm down," he said, picking up the bikini and handing it back to me. "There's nothing to hide anyway."

"Excuse me?"

"Do you have something that other women don't?" droned Caden, watching me squirm under his gaze.

"Well, no..."

"So what's the big deal?" He spoke about it as if flashing people their breasts was a normal occurrence.

"Why did you come over here?" I stammered, instead.

"You asked me to."

"Because I thought you were Sai!" His expression didn't change as if he didn't understand my point. "I saw her heading over here, that's why I told her — you — to come and help."

"She was the only one picking up all the foul balls. I offered to pick it up this time." Wonderful timing for him to realize he wanted to be a Good Samaritan.

He turned around. "What are you doing?" I whispered.

"What, you want me to watch you get changed?"

"No!" I tied the bikini quickly around me and told him quietly that he could turn around. He didn't. Instead, he moved over to the edge of the cove and went to leave when I stopped him. "Where are you going?" I asked, desperation leaking through my voice. "I can't go out like this."

"I'm gonna send Sai over with my jacket. I saw a swimwear store up top. Go get a new bikini there."

Without waiting for me to say anything or even looking in my direction, he left me standing there, letting my drumming heart come to a stop.

***

I ended up buying a high-neck teal-colored bikini with a frilly swim skirt and headed back to the group who all asked me if I was okay.

Embarrassment crawled from under my skin until Caden said, "We should hurry up." I don't know if it was to save me from the stares but I was grateful to him, regardless.

"One more game," Trixie whined.

Leilani looked around. "What do you guys say? One more game and then get some food before heading back to the car?"

Everyone murmured in agreement. Everyone except Leo, who was still watching me warily. "You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I forced a smile.