Chapter 19

Normally today I'd be pretending to tend to my plants and peering over the fence at Jordan. Not only was I avoiding him, but today, there was something off with Sai. She hadn't been responding to my texts to hang out or even picking up my calls.

Was it because of what happened yesterday with Paris? No, it can't be. I was the dramatic one—not Sai.

She picked up after what was the fifth or sixth ring, slurring.

Oh no.

"I'm at Cupid's Kisses," she said, giggling uncontrollably.

"Cupid's Kisses?"

"The club!"

Biting my thumbnail, I paced back and forth in my small room. "Sai, I thought you were supposed to stop drinking."

"I was, but I..." She hiccuped. "Guess I forgot."

"Stay there, okay? I'm gonna come get you."

At least she had picked up. Now I had to get there. I was rushing to the bedroom where I thought mom would be when I heard the sound of spraying water in the bathroom.

I detoured and knocked on the white door. "Mom?"

"It's dad," came the loud voice, trying to speak over the volume of the water. "What is it?"

"Nothing." I couldn't ask him for help if he was showering. He took ages and I needed to get to Sai now.

Mom came out of her room, decked in a long red dress and makeup. Something I hadn't seen her wear since Saria had left. "Mom," I faltered, forgetting my mission for a brief second. "How come you're all dressed?"

She put her hands on her hips. "I was wondering when you would ask," she deadpanned. "It's our wedding anniversary."

I gasped, covering my mouth with my hands almost comically. That had completely slipped my mind. I was a horrible daughter. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry." I lunged forward and hugged her, nestling my head into her chest. "Congratulations. But also, there's no time. Can you please drop me off at the club?"

"The club? What on ea—"

"It's Sai. She's drunk and at one of the clubs."

My mom's wrinkled features relaxed as the realisation settled. She knew just as much as me about Sai's addiction problem. "Okay, uh...well, let me tell your dad that I'll be out for a little while, then. Don't want the man to panic."

I stood near the front door, hopping from one foot to the other, eager to get out of there. Sai had gone through so much to stay sober and now...I wonder what had happened to throw her over the edge like that? I couldn't ask outright.

She needed to rest and then give it a few days before I did. She would tell me eventually. A nagging feeling at the back of my head worried again that it was because of Paris. But nothing extremely big had happened for her to drink over it.

Mom hurried over, picked up the car keys and took me out. "And this is why I kept pestering you to learn to drive," she scolded me. "See how you have to rely on me? What if we had gone when you needed to leave? What would you do?"

"Okay, okay. I won't be lazy anymore. I'll start driving—I'll do anything, just please, hurry." It was embarrassing not knowing how to drive at such an age. I had my driver's license but never forced myself to actually drive because of pure laziness; things would change in the future. First, I needed to find Sai.

I couldn't even focus on the music playing on the radio as she dropped me off right outside the club.
The words 'Cupid's Kisses' flashed across the top of the club in a white halo-lit sign with a pink backlight.