Chapter 5

Chunk was possibly the cutest dog ever. He was trained so well that he really didn't even need a leash. While the other dogs yanked and pulled, Chunk obediently trotted by my side, stopping when I stopped and even sitting before the words 'sit' and 'stay' left my mouth.

He was a joy to walk with and I loved how his tail would hit the back of my legs as we walked. It was a weird thing to note, but I don't know, I really liked Chunk. I wasn't going to tell the neighbour that, though. He seemed like the type that would deflect any compliment given to him. When I had given Chunk back for the day, he didn't look at me nor did he say anything; he gave me my money and then slammed the door in my face.

What a great experience.

At the grocery store, I bought another packet of chocolate-covered chips and some strawberry milk, my mind on what had occurred earlier that day. I shuddered. I had to walk his dog, otherwise, I'd probably never come out of my house again.

And since that's exactly what I'd done for years, it wouldn't be too hard.

With my filled basket, I hobbled over to the cashier, intending to go to Paris when a very familiar figure made me stop. Jordan stood nearby her, an apple in his hand. He was wearing a white t-shirt that clung to his biceps and dark-washed jeans. My throat dried up and my feet went to swivel around, to go to the self-serve checkout instead.

"Shyla, over here!"

Dang it, Paris, I thought. Forcing a smile, I turned back around and hurried over. Be cool and calm, I told myself. "Hi, guys," I said, putting my basket on top of the metal bench and placing my items for Paris to scan.

"Go away, now," Paris said to her brother. "I want to talk to her."

"You're in the middle of work."

"Your point?"

"My point is that you could get fired."

Paris rolled her chocolate eyes. "I'll get fired if they see my annoying, younger brother hanging around here."

I jumped in, "I'm sure it would be okay." I smiled at Jordan who responded with a shy one of his own. My eyes widened. "So shy," I mumbled, dazed. He furrowed his eyebrows and Paris gaped at me. Oops. Had I said that out loud?! "I mean—I'm so shy because my name is Shy-la. Get it? That's what I meant. Not that you're shy. Because you're not."

Jordan and Paris exchanged a glance and I rolled my lips in to stop myself from rambling. My face was so hot, that people could roast a marshmallow on it. I pulled down the oversized sleeves of the knitted blue sweater I was wearing and cleared my throat.

"I want him to leave because Jordan's actually going to hang out with his friends." Paris quickly changed the subject like I hadn't even spoken.

Thank goodness for that.

"I still have time."

"Yeah, but you haven't found anyone to look after Milo and Turd, now have you?"

That's when a brilliant idea popped up in my head. "I can look after them," I offered.

"It's the weekend," Paris said. "You don't need to do that."

"No, it's fine. I love Milo and Turd, they're angels."

Jordan's eyebrows arched. "Are you sure?"

"100 per cent."

"You're a lifesaver," he said, before turning to Paris. "See? Problem solved."

But he left after giving me another thank you and goodbye to his sister. I watched as he headed out of the grocery store, and crossed the car park. Turning back around, Paris was staring at me with a knowing glint in her eyes, her lips quirking up. She gestured to my stuff that had been scanned and ready for me to take. I grabbed the bags, ignoring the gaze above me.