Chapter 49

I explained everything to Sai that night who was on her way back home.

"You'll see me soon," she'd said, swaying us both from side to side as we hugged, tight. Her dad couldn't stop laughing, ruffling my hair with affection. I would miss him. I would miss her. The months had gone by so quickly it was scary to think I was going to start college soon.

Then again, I had more important things to worry about than school for once in my life.

"I think you should try speaking to him again," she said through the phone that night. I could hear the faint rush of cars passing by. "I mean, Leilani said Leo was an asshole in high school, right?"

"If we go by that logic, I shouldn't be talking to Caden, either."

"Well, he did warn you away from him as well. Multiple times. You're the one that didn't listen."

Touche. "It's not like they're both murderers or anything. Right?"

"Who knows?" Sai answered after a long silence. Nice. Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. From the way everyone was acting, I wouldn't be surprised. I was drugged, after all. Who knew what the person was trying to do? Or trying to let happen. "I don't blame Caden, you know."

"You too?"

"Think about it. Leo seemed to cling to you way too quickly. You guys met, what, like twice before becoming friends?"

"That was just a coincidence."

"A mighty big of a coincidence if you ask me." I frowned. The odds really weren't in Leo's favour. "It only makes sense that Leo planned all this. I don't know. Don't quote me on it."

Like Sai said before, I needed to talk to Caden again. This time I needed proper answers. Not flaky, vague ones that only gave me more questions than answers.

I texted him, not feeling embarrassed or afraid that he would find me desperate. I didn't care about that anymore.

Me: When are you free to talk?

He responded back ten minutes later: Whenever.

Me: Tell me everything you know about Leo. Please? I need to know.

Caden: My house. 5.

Guess everything was going to be revealed soon enough.

***

I stood outside his gate, waiting for him. I could hear Chunk barking inside the car as Caden arrived a few minutes later, turning the engine to his car off and shutting the door. He opened the backseat, letting Chunk fly toward me. Caden glanced over but didn't say anything. I did, however, follow him inside.

Chunk got out all of his energy before slinking off to a corner to play with his toys. I sat down on the couch. Caden sat down next to me. He was wearing a loose black tank top.

The air was suffocating. I glanced at his poorly bandaged knuckles, the sides peeling a little.

"Does it hurt?" I whispered, unintentionally brushing a finger over it.

He didn't move away. "Not at all."

"You should be more careful."

"Worried you won't have someone to be pissed off at?" I nudged him. "The cuts are small. I'll live."

Silence again. I could hear my foot tapping against the floor, the words urging to be spoken, to leave my lips.

"I won't bite," said Caden. "You can talk to me."