Chapter 54

WARNING: lots and lots of fluff.

***

I still hadn't told my parents about me and Caden.

And yes, me and Caden. We were a thing.

I let out a slow whoosh that I was holding in as I soaked in the view from the treehouse. Caden had his head on my lap, eyes closed as he took a nap. Every night before going to bed, his face was all I could imagine. His touch. His kisses.

I blushed. Who knew this was what falling in love was like? You were literally falling for everything the other person did, even if you tried to stop yourself multiple times. Even if you told yourself it was wrong. I wanted to tell my parents sooner than later. I didn't want to lie to them or have to sneak around behind their back.

Their blessings and acceptance meant the world to me. If they said no...then I'd deal with that when it came. 

"Something on your mind?" Startled at the disruption, I looked down to see that Caden had opened his eyes, watching me. I would never get used to the piercing way he looked at me. It was almost as if he was caressing me, and every part of my body leaned in for his actual, physical touch.

I cleared my throat. "I was just thinking...I don't want our relationship to go any further without getting blessings from my parents."

"Blessings?"

"Yeah, like...I want them to accept us. I want them to be happy for us. It'd mean so much to me. I don't want my relationship with them to turn out like what happened with Saria."

"That was different," he reminded me. "She ran away with her teacher."

"I know, but still. Please?"

He cupped the back of my neck and brought my head down, placing a soft kiss on my lips. He hummed, low, letting the sound vibrate through me. "I'll do anything for you," he whispered against my lips.

***

When I invited Caden over for dinner, I was wriggling around in my seat, not knowing how to broach the topic. Mom and dad were like birds, fluttering about us and chattering nonstop, but not in a bad way. Caden seemed right at home, laughing at dad's awful jokes and even continuing them.

The nervousness eased seeing how well he fit in here. I wished Saria could see us now and I wondered if she'd be proud of me. Or if she'd warn me off him. She never liked guys with tattoos and here was one right now, arm and a chest full of them.

Seeing him smile like a little boy, though, I knew I didn't need her acceptance. She didn't matter anymore. I forgave her. I was able to forgive her for what she'd done, because if not for her, if not for what she had done, we would have never moved here. I would have never met Caden.

My Caden.

Despite all the things he'd done, that was in the past. That wasn't who he was now and I would accept every part of him. I wasn't like Harry or Trixie.

He caught me staring over the glass he was drinking out of and winked, making me choke on the rice I was currently spooning into my mouth.

"Shyla, eat slowly! You're not twelve, need I remind you every time?" It was embarrassing being scolded in front of my boyfriend by my mom.

"S-Sorry." I swallowed, waiting for the conversation to die down a little before saying, "Hey, mom? Dad? I have something to tell you."

They exchanged wary glances. "Is everything okay?" Dad looked to Caden for confirmation. "What's wrong?"