Chapter 13

It took a week or two to properly practice everything that Caden had taught me. It was extremely simple advice but profound all the same. I practised in the mirror, I practised calling random stores as he had said. Some were rude, most hung up on me, some were nice to explain any questions I had...even if I had no idea what the product did. Some flirted back, which I found both discomforting and exciting.

One conversation went randomly well:

"So, if I come in person, will you tell me what the product does in detail?" I said into the phone.

"Uh, sure. Do you know where we're located?"

"Yeah, uh, will I be able to talk to you?"

"...Okay?" He sounded suspicious.

"I just want to see if you're as cute in person as you sound over the phone." What? I told myself. Oh god, I fricked up. I fricked it up by being a creep. There was no way—

"I mean...thanks?" He kinda laughed in a breathy, confused way. "Um, yeah. I can come and talk to you, maybe after my shift ends? What's your name?"

Obviously, I didn't tell him my name. Obviously, I hung up because I was so full of adrenaline sparking through every single nerve, that I wanted to die. I dropped onto my bed, my mouth covered as if I had just done something sinful. Apparently, some people didn't care if I flirted badly. They just cared about flirting even if it was with strangers.

Sai texted me afterwards, right before Caden was supposed to come over:

Hey, are you up to going out tonight?

I can't, I responded. Caden is helping me with Jordan.

Caden? Who the hell is that?

Looooong story! I'll tell you when its all done.

I put my phone on silent and opened the door once I heard a knock. He wore a plaid red shirt with a brown leather jacket and a beanie the colour of brown-red leaves in autumn, covering the top half of his curls.

In his hands were the bags of clothes from the other day. We had a mini practice date where I pretty much just sat there like a statue despite him trying to give me openings for conversation. "You forgot to take these with you," he said. I had completely forgotten about that. I remember just wanting to get out of that awkward situation.

"Thanks. Sooo, what's the plan for today?"

He casually scanned my house before turning to me. "Your parents?"

"Out with some church friends."

"Good. You're gonna model for me."

"I'm gonna what now?"

"Model," he said slowly as if I was a child. "It's not enough to have good clothes. You have to own it."

"I do own it. I bought it." His lips pressed into a white slash as he gave me a glassy stare. I guess my 'joke' was a poor one. Or my audience just didn't appreciate good jokes.

"Number one," he began, "don't make stupid jokes." Noted. "Number two, try them on and try to walk like you know you're hot."

"How does someone...walk like they know they're hot?"

He cocked his head, raising his brows. I was sure if I asked any more questions he would probably throttle me. "Go try them on," he said, voice indifferent. "We'll talk about that later."

So, I did. We'd gone out to buy more tops and so I picked one out that he hadn't already seen, settling on the denim skirt and cropped grey sweater top. I came back down, flicking off some loose fluff on the ripped skirt.