Chapter 28

My mind wouldn't stop wandering. All I could think about was Caden. I don't know about him or if I was getting ahead of myself, but I personally felt like we were getting closer. Every time I saw him out with Trixie or glimpsed him jogging with Chunk by the dog park when I was with Milo and Turd, he would either give me a small smile—which I had never seen before—or a head nod.

He acknowledged my existence, now, in a way that didn't make me feel inferior. And that made my chest bloom.

"Hellooooo? Earth to Shyla!" Paris' screech through the phone impaled my ears. I moved the phone away as I stood idly in the garden. This time I wasn't stalking Jordan. He wasn't even paying attention to me and for a long time, I had failed to see that literally.

"Sorry, I was daydreaming."

"No time for that! Just answer my question, woman."

"What was the question?"

"Can you make it tomorrow for my birthday party?"

"That's pretty late notice, Paris," I said, thinking if I had made any plans with my parents. They hadn't said anything and it had been a long time since we did family movie nights since Saria had left, so I doubted they would.

"I didn't even know I wanted a party until early this morning."

"What made you change your mind?"

"I realised this was my opportunity to invite some important people over."

Vague, but I knew that was all she was going to give me and I didn't want to pressure her. I wanted to ask about the trip she'd gone on, but with everything that was going on, I felt like I never had the time. That and I barely saw her around unless on the off chance that I happened to be at the grocery store.

"I'll be there," I relented.

"Dress pretty, see ya tomorrow!"

I hung up and instantly called Sai so that we could discuss what she was going to wear and what I could possibly wear. She picked up with a yawn. "What's up, hoe."

"Are you coming tomorrow?"

"Where?"

"Paris' party? Didn't she call you?"

"No." She scoffed. "And even if she did, I wouldn't go." That was weird. I thought she would have invited her. "I told you before, Shyla, there's something I don't like about her."

"You're just being paranoid. Maybe she forgot. She's been a little off lately."

"That's why I'm saying be careful."

"She's not a murderer." I rolled my eyes. "Do you want me to ask her if I can invite you?"

"Nah, forget it. I have a reputation."

I snorted. "Sure."

"Besides," she continued like I wasn't talking, "I'm thinking of going out to dinner with dad tonight."

This was big news! "Seriously? Sai, that's great! How come?"

"We've been talking a little bit," her voice was small as she spoke. "I think you're right. He's hovering a lot, but he's...I don't know, nicer. He's trying."

"I'm so proud of you. If I were there, I would give you the biggest, sloppiest kiss ever."

"Ew, no thanks. Save that for someone who wants it." I laughed. Even through our conversation I couldn't help but wonder why Paris didn't invite her. I mean, each to their own, no one had to like everyone, but still.

***

The day of the party came sooner than expected. It wasn't exactly a party, only a small get-together. Especially since her house wasn't decorated or anything. There were no balloons or sashes or groups of people stacked close by. I figured there would be since Paris was so popular, but it was actually more low-key than I thought.

Movies about high school parties failed me, clearly.

I found Paris grabbing some more punch by the kitchen and I choked on my saliva. She was so gorgeous! She was wearing a hot pink cami crop top and a pink bodycon skirt that stopped mid-thigh.

There were a few people I didn't recognise that Paris was talking to before she spotted me and rushed over. I gave her her gift and said, "Are there other people coming?"

"Just us. By the way, there's been a change of plans. We're actually going to a club. Wanna come?"

"Oh, I don't know—"

"It'll be fun! I'll be with you. Please? For the birthday girl?" She pouted, clasping her hands in front of her as she batted her thick lashes enhanced by the black false lashes she was wearing. I wasn't entirely sure a club was how I wanted to spend today—especially if it was anything like Cupid's Kisses—but if it was for Paris, then why not?

"Fine. Only for a short while."

"As long as you come."

I looked around."Where's Jordan?"

"Out with his friends." Did he know that Sai wasn't invited? Something told me he did, otherwise, why would he have disappeared? Or was it because he didn't want to hang around at his sister's birthday party? I don't know.

Paris' eyes widened and her open mouth let out a small gasp. Trailing her line of focus, I saw Caden standing there in a white denim jacket, black turtleneck and ripped jeans. In one hand he balanced a small cake box and in the other, a gift bag. "You shouldn't have!"

"The one time I really didn't, you didn't speak to me for a whole month," said Caden, handing her the gift. Our eyes met. I smiled shyly. For some reason, I felt exposed standing opposite him. We hadn't really been banter-y as much in public as opposed to when it was just ourselves.

"Whatever," cut in Paris, bringing me out of my reverie. She took the bag from his hand, plopped it onto a sofa and clapped, gathering everyone's attention. "The main star of the show is here, so let's go!"

Everyone began to head out the door that Caden and I had just come in minutes before. We both exchanged glances before Caden asked, "Where exactly?"

"To the club, duh." She reached for our wrists and yanked us. "¡Ándale!"

Caden and I looked at each other from over Paris' shoulder and I couldn't help my whole body from feeling lighter. Even if I hadn't fully healed from Jordan's rejection, knowing that I was going to have Caden and Paris by my side, I knew that things could only get better.

Maybe going to a club properly wouldn't be so bad, after all.