Chapter 2

"You're an idiot," I mutter

"You're an idiot," I mutter. I'm in the kitchen with Gary, one of my uncle's staff members. He's a fucking fool. He's new, and has managed to smash fourteen cups today. Fourteen fucking cups.

Who can smash that many? Seriously.

My phone starts to ring, and when I glance at it, it's an unknown number. We have one family rule which is that you must be able to be reached at all times, and if we're not, there's usually a cause for concern. Like Victor and that fucking maid of his.

I check the number and frown when I don't recognise it. With Owen and Kota on assignments though, it isn't unusual for us to be contacted directly if we are needed. I answer the phone, and I'm shocked when a sweet soft voice is on the other end.

Outgoing Call to North Taylor

North: Apples.

Sang: Giraffe.

North: Where am I going this time? Owen will be pissed I talked to someone like this, especially if they're offering favours. Let's hope she's not an asshole and tattles.

But she sounds cute, so it's worth it.

Sang: I'm sorry? Oh baby, you should never be sorry.

North: Are you not calling about an assignment?

Sang: No. I'm sorry.

North: Well, what do you want?

Sang: My name is Dr Sorenson. I work with Sean Green at the hospital.

North: I do think that's where doctors work. She sounds like she's young—hopefully my age. I wonder what she does at the hospital. Nurse? Cafeteria worker?

Oh, is someone finally tattling that Sean has had too much pie? Fuck, I'm going to have to buy her a drink. Well, a coffee or something. That she drinks far away from me. I mean, unless she's cute, and legal.

Sang: Well, um, yes.

North: So, what's going on? Is Sean hurt? Do I need to come over? Why didn't she lead with that?

Sang: Sorry, this conversation hasn't gone very well.

North: It's okay. Explain to me the issue. Fucking hell. Clearly little words, will get her to open up.

Sang: Owen has been brought in—

North (interrupting): Excuse me? Has she really wasted my time when Owen's in hospital?

Sang: He's been stabbed, whilst on assignment. He's stable but—

North (interrupting): I'm on my way.