Chapter 26

"I can't believe you threatened to shoot Kai," I whisper

"I can't believe you threatened to shoot Kai," I whisper. Raven raises an eyebrow lazily, and I groan. Owen's pissed, and Corey had to sit with both Axel and him earlier to talk it out.

"I don't understand why you're so surprised," Raven says.

"Gabe," Owen calls. I turn to him. "Can you call Layla?"

"Why?" I ask.

"Uncle's going to take over the house renovations," he says. "So that we can be here with Sang. I thought it might be easier to bring in someone you trust to handle your side of things, even if just to get the base done."

"I guess," I say. "I'll go call." He nods, and turns back to his phone. I jump up and leave the room, and lean against the wall in the hospital hallway. I slide down, until I can rest my head on my knees.

"What's wrong?" Raven asks, coming to sit with me.

"I don't fucking know," I say. "I really don't know."

"Do you want to be the one to do the decorating?" he asks and I shrug. "Do you feel like it's your only talent and they're taking it from you?"

"Maybe?" I whisper. "I'd rather be out there doing something. She's really sick."

"I know," Raven replies. "Then if that's what will help, we tell Owen no. I'm happy to come to the house each day with you to decorate."

"But isn't that selfish?" I ask.

"No," Raven scoffs. "You know Sang won't care. She'd rather you were keeping yourself mentally healthy than sitting around her bedside like the rest of the goon squad." I burst out laughing. "Honestly, talk to her when North comes back with food. She'll know."

"What if she's too out of it to notice?" I ask. What if she doesn't care anymore?

"Then we deal with it together," Raven offers. "She's sick, but she's not the only member on this team." I smile at him, and he pats my shoulder. He's right. "So, we'll tell Bossman Two no, and we'll go to the house ourself."

"Might not hurt to bring Layla in to run errands though," I say. "She can go get us things."

"What does it cost?" Raven asks. "We have a full team we can make get things."

"We'll sort it," I say. "Thanks for coming out."

"What are you two doing?" North calls. We turn and he's smiling. "I've got food for Sang. Let's go inside." I nod and the three of us trail in.

Sang is sitting up, but she looks exhausted. I hate seeing her like this.

"How are you feeling?" I ask. She shrugs, but pats the space next to her. I smile, and go sit on the bed with her. "Your hair is a mess."

"Thanks," she says.

"I'll brush it out after dinner," I murmur. I kiss the top of her head, and the others very nicely pretend they're not watching.