Chapter 24

"Lionel," I call

"Lionel," I call. He comes over, smiling. "What are you doing?"

"Um..." he trails off and I sigh. He's not been very focused since we returned from lunch and its getting annoying. This isn't the type of job where you can slack off for a bit and not have any repercussions and he doesn't seem to understand that.

"Sang," Sean calls. I grin and turn to him. He smiles at Lionel, and pulls me to his side, before kissing my forehead. "Thought I'd come check on you."

"Me or him?" I tease.

"You, definitely," he says, grinning. "I know Lionel is in good hands. Walk me through today."

"Want to go with Kara again, Lionel? She's got a few bloods to do," I tell him.

He sighs, but Sean glares at him. "What's with the attitude?" Sean demands.

"I've done so many blood draws today," Lionel mumbles.

"And?" Sean snaps.

"And nothing," he says holding his hands up in defence. "I'll get to it." He heads off and I groan, and lean into Sean.

"I don't think he likes that I'm essentially his boss right now," I mumble.

"Why?" he asks. "You're perfect."

"And you're super sweet," I tease. We sit down at the nurses' station and Laura smiles at us before getting back to work.

"Talk to me," he says.

"He tested up with the first patient because he didn't want to do the blood draw on a child," I tell him. "He needs to get over that so I've been getting him to help with blood draws whenever he's free. I can't download everything into his brain today, and so I thought we could tackle one thing whilst introducing him to how things work around here. Start him slow, you know?"

"Better than I would've done," he says. "It's a smart thing to do. I tend to overwhelm them on day one, before realising I messed up and then over correct on day two."

"I don't believe you," I say, laughing.

"It's the truth," Sean says. "Honestly, Pookie, you're a great trainer. The issue is probably that you're eighteen and he's twenty-five. It's an age thing and he's a man. Add in the fact that I guarantee my nurses are gushing over you like you're a goddess and he's probably feeling a little inadequate."

"I thought that at first," I say. "But now it's like he's completely lost focus. I don't know. Maybe I came back too early and he should've been with someone else."

"Give me a few minutes," Sean says softly. He kisses my forehead before walking off. I pull up the scans we took earlier of a little girl, and start analysing them. We're going to need to bring surgical in on this I think.

 We're going to need to bring surgical in on this I think